Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

qualification levels and responsibility

Hi all

I am now a little confused about something I understood so wondering if I could throw something out there to get second opinions.

We have always said that any area of responsibility should be undertaken by someone with a level 3 qualification or higher, (thinking about roles such as SEN or SENDCO lol and H&S, Deputy etc..) now Ofsted have said that they class my member of staff as a level 6 as she has a degree even though it is a psychology degree. I should add here she is undertaking EYITT starting in September. Now she is amazing, a natural has loads of experience with baby sign, training people in this and developing communication and early language etc...

so can she occupy I position of responsibility or not??

I would say that the qualification is not full and relevant (from an EYFS perspective) therefore not a qualified member of staff. This would also be evifent when doing the EYITT as she would be on the graduate pathway rather than the graduate practitioner pathway. I too have a staff member with a psychology degree but she has a level 3 as well so is included in ratios etc.

Yes I agree. A degree not in Early Years does not automatically class the holder to be a level 6 practitioner in an early years setting, although her degree will be a level 6 qualification in the wider academic world. To be classed as a level 6 practitioner the level 6 has to be 'full and relevant'.

Guest sn0wdr0p

I am just going to employ a lady as a playworker who would be ideal in the out of school club manager position which I currently have available but unfortunately only has a level 2 childcare qualification, has co ordinated an out of school club before, run holiday playschemes and is a qualified social worker with a lot of experience as a family support worker in a children's centre and other related roles. Unfortunately she can still not be counted as a level 3 member of staff so is not able to manage the setting or be left with another level 2 staff member on the premises. Very frustrating.

Guest sn0wdr0p

Yes I totally agree but I looked it up and it is not full and relevant. My niece who has qualified as a social worker this month has confirmed that child development is a statutory part of the course. Incidentally, she would also be ideal as she is also a level 2 playworker but same situation applies.

Guest sn0wdr0p

OK things are gettings more confusing. I phoned Ofsted today about my new playworker who would be ideal for the managers position and they advised me to ask my local authority if she could be the manager as she thought it would be OK as we do not have really young children in our OOS club and the lady is so experienced. She said it is for the LA to OK this and to get it in writing then Ofsted will be happy with this. She said this decision was taken out of Ofsted's hands in September.

??????????????????????