Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

friendship issuses

Hi, I have a child in my class that has formed a close friendship with one child. That would be fine, but the child in question likes to play with other children as well. Problems arise when her friend doesn't look at her or talks to someone else , she in floads of tears and thinks she not her friend any more. It's getting abit out of hand as the parents are now getting involved on a daily biases. We try to reassuance both children , that it's good to play with lots of friends, and that just because they haven't talked to you doesn't mean their not your friend. Does any one know of a story where they share friends with other people. I f I can't find one , i am thinking about making a photo book using the children themselves.

any advise would be helpfull , as it's driving us mad xx

Has there been a day when her friend hasn't been in (at appt or ill)? How did she cope then.

Do you have small groups of children to do activities? Perhaps you could put her in a different group and try to encourage her to work with other children

I think you need to distract the upset child with another activity preferably with other children.

Does she have any attachment issues with parents?

Hope someone comes along soon who can be more helpful.

It's really tricky this one and happens so often - I have known children who are really attached together from nursery, but who were very balanced about it and have gone on to be life long best friends, and the same situation you describe where it becomes a bit toxic for one of them. The three girl gang (ie 2 are friends and not with the other one and it rotates on a daily basis with inevitable fall out) is another one.

It could be that the other child has had enough of being monopolised and is trying to stretch their wings a bit - have you spoken to them individually about their take on the situation? What are their thoughts and feelings about this relationship?

Circle time on friendships? This might open out the discussion to the rest as well.

Sensitively building relationships with others is quite crucial, I think, and this is where, at this time of year in reception more adult directed activity is totally appropriate and could be used as a vehicle to engage them with others.

One other thought (if you are a multi form school), can you split them in yr 1?

Cx

Edited by catma
  • Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)