Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Reception Skills.

Hi,

Our head wants us to produce a booklet documenting the 'desirable' skills for children to have ready for entering reception in Sept.

We have a few basic ideas but we are a small 1 form entry school. I'd be interested in hearing other people's views on this.

Things such as being able to put own shoes/wellies on, using a knife and fork independently, being willing to have a go etc.

Hi and welcome!

If you looked at a child secure in the 30 - 50 band within the prime areas you would get a reasonable sense of the minimum relevant basic skill; this would then fit with the national expectations (ie secure 30 - 50 at least) and be supported by your on entry assessments anyway. Why reinvent the wheel I say!!

Cx

• Like 2

I give out a starting school booklet which talks through everything to do with our school and I put a section at the back with a list of desirable skills and some suggestions for activities. This was in response to questions from parents and also to dispell some of the myths that some parents have. I always have some parents who over the summer will sit their child in front of work books to 'prepare them for school' or who teach them phonics so their child is 'ahead' of others and i try to squash this through the booklet! The list of things is really only 30-50 month stuff like getting dressed and undressed independently, blow their nose , be able to tidy up toys, ask to go to the toilet etc. I do also add in recognise their name, say their numbers in order to 10, count objects accurately to 5. I also include lots of ideas to encourage mark making.

Deb

Yes it is to give to parents at the end of this term for them to look at over summer.

Thanks Deb - that's pretty much what I had in mind and I shall try to include bits so parents dont feel the need to sit with workbooks etc!

:)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)