Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

staff ratios

Guest griffclan

Guest griffclan

just wondering about ratios/staff qualifications if you only have 2 members of staff. I've probably over thought this and got myself in a muddle so I'd be grateful for your thoughts....

We offer a late session between 4-6 pm after the nursery day finishes and only have a few children stay for this so only need 2 staff . Am I right in thinking that I couldn't have 1 staff level 3 and 1 unqualified (in training) for this period as Statutory framework says 1 must be level 3 and at least half of others level 2. What do you think?

Half of all other staff, other than the manager, has to have at least a "full and relevant qualification" which is at least a level 2.

This means that the second person has to be fully qualified, as there is no half person! We had the same question in the past

and that's the answer I got from Ofsted, a couple of times.

Just re read my last post. What I mean, after having a bad night worrying about it is, I only have a small team and not all are Level 3 now. I have very quiet periods too which I staff with one level 3 and one working towards.i do have level 2 students about to qualify this month. So does that mean, technically I should be putting them on as level 2 ( when qualified) rather than the staff I have chosen who I consider to be very capable ( more so?) but not qualified yet?

Should I therefore not have taken on these unqualified people in the first place?I feel really worried now.

I'm starting to think I've made a big mistake as I'm hardly going to be able to use them...I don't want to be doing the wrong thing.what should I do?(sorry to hog this subject)

Guest griffclan

Thanks for your replies. Our children are 3 and 4 year olds.

Greenfinch, I'm glad I'm not the only one who appears to have misunderstood this. Looks like it should be 2 qualified people and the girl I've got who has just started training won't be able to work in this situation until she's gained at least level 2 (all my other staff are level 3 or above)

Back to rethinking the rotas (again!) for me!!