Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Evidence

This year we have had a one book approach, so evidence, number ,topic and writing all goes in the same book and they get a new book each term. I do like it, but when it came to moderation, it was difficult flicking through their books to find all the evidence. Has anyone come up with a simple solution? I know we don't have to do learning journeys, but we need to show progress.

I am thinking about having an evidence book, of the ELG s with each area on individual pages. A bit like the examples at the back of the exemplifiation doc.

Any thoughts?

I have 2 books - one is their 'work' book and one is their learning journey which has photos, observations etc. in. I didn't split the learning journey by ELG as I think there's often too much overlap for one piece of evidence. I went through the learning journey and next to each piece of evidence wrote ELG1, ELG14 etc - whichever was relevant. The numbers match the ones each ELG has in the exemplification and I added a page to the inside cover of the learning journey so they made sense to parents. I very quickly got used to which goal was which number so it wasn't onerous to add the information and when I was moderated I could look for instances of a particular ELG. Hope that makes sense?!

In the front of my learning journeys I have a grid with 40-60 and elg for each area. I then give each piece of evidence a number as I put it into the book. And I write the number in the box on the grid. The evidence is in number order so for example ELG1 might have evidence numbers 2,6,8,12,15 etc so I can find it easily. Where children are in earlier development bands I include these on the grid where needed.

Coming from a KS2 background, so I realise it's very different (tell me to shut up if you're thinking I'm talking rubbish!!!), but I would definitely recommend taking the easiest approach possible or else you may well find yourself not being able to dedicate enough time to the wonderfully marvellous, well-organised system you've come up with. Last year, when collecting evidence of writing, we highlighted the page at the top and wrote the number of the skill it demonstrated and then highlighted that. The children knew what each number corresponded to and we dated the sheet at the front which showed all of the target areas (a grid) - this was also handy for parents to see too. Basically if we needed to see evidence of (and I know you're not looking for the same!!!) semi-colons, then I would look down the list, see it was number 15, look at the dates for that target and flick through the book to get to that page of evidence. Hope this helps and makes sense :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)