Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

New child

I have a little girl starting in my Reception class on Monday 3rd June. Will I have to complete the profile for her? The data is due in between 11th and 22nd June. The little girl also doesn't speak any English....

Hiya I looked into this as I have a child leaving and needed to find out about the profile for him. If you look in the assessment and reporting guidance it says that if a child changes school at the may half term then the previous school does the profile. My little boy was a bright button so I was happy to keep hold of his data!!

Deb

If she has been in an other school then as Deb says the other school would be responsible for the data return although you might need to contact your moderation manager and/or data team so that this is made clear.

It is a little confusing because the Handbook gives the statutory framework response, which is that the schools have to decide between themselves who completes it, whereas the ARA uses the previous guidance of the summer half term cut off. I did query this anomaly and was advised by STA to follow the ARA guidance. (Going on other anomalies I have queried, my guess is they left it in the ARA by mistake!!)

There are specific criteria for using the "A" code in the ARA, but unless she has arrived from overseas less than 2 weeks before the submission date then I don't think you would meet any of the other criteria for A. In any case even a judgement of emerging for everything gives your overall supporting measure a contributing score of 17 vs a score of 0 for using the A code.

I am advising schools do their on entry assessment as they normally would for new entrants and use this to inform their EYFSP data return. You'd have to internally assess her in any case for Yr1 to have any meaningful starting point.

Have you got the Assessment and Reporting arrangements? This is a important as the Handbook for the EYFSP

http://www.education.gov.uk/aboutdfe/statutory/g00200086/2013-assessment-and-reporting-arrangements-eyfs

Cx

Thank you very much. She has no previous school, as she is coming from overseas, and as she is Hungarian I don't think I'm going to get very far with an assessment. Ah well!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the clarification as we have very high mobility due to a military community, i was going be ARA guidance as we have had several move!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)