Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

End of year observation by SIP

Hi everyone, I'm looking for some imaginative ideas for a maths observation that I am having right at the end of term by out SIP/HIP not sure what they are called now!

I know what sort of 'feeling' I am going for but can't get a context in my head. I will try to explain!

I am hoping for something that is related to real life, like I have a big problem and I need their help, that sort of thing. Then I want them in their groups to have to sort of solve the problem through trial and error, maybe with a partner. So I imagine it will be a sort of using and applying lesson.

I need to show real progress too.

Any ideas? I'm desperate!

The majority have just grasped addition using objects to help them, we are moving on to subtraction next week. Then doubling/halving. I am trying to think ahead as to where they could be in July when the ob is.

Guest tinkerbell

we have just done a problem solving activity.The naming of our new African land snail.

Sat in a circle and decided she was a girl .'lets have some names' I wrote them on a white board.

Then we voted, all had one vote so were given a multi link

went through the names wrote them on a large piece of paper put on floor in middle of circle

again reminded them they could only vote once

and then asked each has their turn to put their brick next to the name

then you can visually see which has the most and can talk about it eg which has the most ?which has the least? which has one more than etc This can then be displayed on the wall.

My class also like to take the class list on a clipboard and ask each other their favourite colour etc (this started after year3 came in asking questions)

• 3 weeks later...

Have u anymore ideas? I would love some ideas on this topic as I too have orbs and would appreciate some ideas!my thoughts so far are either a real life bar chart-each child tries a piece of fruit and votes which fruit they like best, we then make a giant bar chart and discuss!! Or something along the lines of subtraction-children are given golden coins and the must eat some and work out how many they have left?? Help please

Hi, no new ideas although I think I may focus on doubling. Still a few weeks yet so waiting to see where the children are at. We are currently doing subtraction. I can't see the wood for the trees at the moment with regards to an imaginative idea!

Been having a think today with a few other practitioners- thinking I may look at Venn diagrams. Tell the children some clothes have been mixed up- could they hep me sort them- some into black/ red etc. Discuss what the middle may be for. Question again when we come over black and red objects. then ask the children to go away and sort out some clothes etc for themselves. challenge the children at the end with another sorting problem where they think of their own criteria. What do you think?

what are you thinking of doing for doubling- I'm worried my lesson is too formal however I am going to be working with higher ability children and want to push them- please share your thoughts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)