Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Characteristics of Effective Learning

Hi All

When observing children at an activity do you try to incorporate all 3 areas ie playing and exploring, active learning and creating and thinking critically with one observation?

Or do you also incorporate each of the 3 subheadings with all 3 areas.

My deputy who has just been on a course regarding this seems to think that all of the above need to be written from 1 observation.

I am finding this impossible to do, however I can incorporate all areas and sub headings over a period of say half a term.

How do you do yours?

Thank you

Wow! I wouldn't attempt to get all of it from one observation of an activity. I think I'd find that impossible. We observe quite a lot of the Characteristics from child led play and continuous provision. But i would only expect to see it all over a period of time as you suggest. In any case, some children may not have developed some characteristics or they just may not be part of their character at that time. I wonder if your deputy did an exercise on the course where they managed to 'hit' all the characteristics from one observation. It's the kind of thing you do on a course and she may have taken this to mean you need to do this all the time. Just an idea.

I think we observe the characteristics of effective learning over time. . . . . . In my mind they show the way the children are generally.

Not making sense here. . . . . What I mean is when I write about the characteristics I expect it will be about how the children are usually not just per activity

• 3 months later...

Hi All

When observing children at an activity do you try to incorporate all 3 areas ie playing and exploring, active learning and creating and thinking critically with one observation?

Or do you also incorporate each of the 3 subheadings with all 3 areas.

My deputy who has just been on a course regarding this seems to think that all of the above need to be written from 1 observation.

I am finding this impossible to do, however I can incorporate all areas and sub headings over a period of say half a term.

How do you do yours?

Thank you

Could I ask which course your deputy went on and if it was worth while.

We note CofEL generally when we are observing over a couple of weeks

We circle the areas, so more or less once or twice a term

I have them printed on the back of our well being and involvement sheets

We use them to help plan new experiences for the children.

It has taken a while for us to decide that this was the way we are going to use CofEL

Hey

We note CofEL generally when we are observing over a couple of weeks
We circle the areas, so more or less once or twice a term

I have them printed on the back of our well being and involvement sheets

We use them to help plan new experiences for the children.

It has taken a while for us to decide that this was the way we are going to use CofEL

Hey suer,

I was wondered if you could possible upload an example of how you use the CofEL? I would be interested to see how you have done this?

thank you x

Will try to upload the form when on laptop ( usually when I do this it doesn't work)

Can't show you how because they are in LJ'S

Our CofEL are on the back of our well being and involvement sheets

We generally don't do long written obs

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)