Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

New To Nvq

Don't know if i'm coming or going. Just started and nvq3. I've only helped in school with y2 readers for 3 hrs a week for last two yrs. However the college thought I should start the nvq3. I'm totally lost. Been to college twice and we are just having intrductions at the moment paper hand outs and a whizz over C3, which she is going to start teaching on oct 17! In the meantime I don't know if I should be doing anything. she hasn't told us to. Should I be typing something up or planning a p.e. lesson. I feel out of my depth at the minute and I'm only just getting used to the routine in my reception class. The children only start full time this week. I'm in a reception class all day 3 days a week. feel overwhelmed and totally numb. I've not done anything like this since leaving school I'm now 36! My previous job was a secretary. Any advice appreciated. Oh I haven't a clue about optional units either. Quite fancied the numeracy and literacy ones but I've been told you can only do those if you are in year 1. Don't undertand how to do the optional units either. HELP!

hi lui and welcome, :D

I'm not familair with the nvq as a student but have had students working with me in my classroom and I am sure that you will settle into the routine and things will become clearer. You have found the right place for help though apart from your teacher and your tutor! Are you on placement or employed within the school?

Hi Lui and welcome. :D First of all - don't panic! There is a lot to take in initially but you will start to get the hang of it after a short while. Have you been asked to choose your optional units yet? If not, then I would just put that to the back of your mind for now - it will become more obvious which ones are relevant to you as time goes on. :)

If your tutor hasn't told you to start on anything then I wouldn't worry too much. Have a look through the introduction article on this site and read through the C3 guidance and start thinking about how you will be able to provide the evidence needed for your portfolio. Any activities you do with the children write up, as these will prove useful further on in your award. :) Good luck and if you need more advice come back and ask.

Hi

just wanted to welcome you to the forum, dont worry you will be fine and get loads of help and advise here.  :D

38734[/snapback]

I'm on a placement.

hi lui and welcome,  :D

I'm not familair with the nvq as a student but have had students working with me in my classroom and I am sure that you will settle into the routine and things will become clearer. You have found the right place for help though apart from your teacher and your tutor! Are you on placement or employed within the school?

38738[/snapback]

Thank you. Feeling slightly calmer and grateful I found this sight!

Lui C3 is about physical development, isn't it? So you could collect some evidence in PE lessons & playtime. Even if you haven't been shown how to do anything yet, you could keep a simple diary of what you observe them doing. If you're able to write simple observations it may help you in a later unit. Even if it's not up to scratch, you'll be tuning, in so to speak.

I think the hardest thing about NVQ at the start is learning NVQ-speak. And how the portfolio is put together etc. Once you've worked out how it works life gets a bit easier!

I agree with Beau - forget the optional units for now, unless you've been asked to think about them.

Bets wishes - I'm sure you'll be fine when you get going properly!

There is also a fabulous help website for NVQ 3 students I had so much help and advise from everyone there. the website is

www.groups.yahoo.com/group/childcaretraining. just register and then you can ask any questions etc and the members will post their replies

Hope this helps

Tracey

Hi Lui,

Welcome, I echo everything everyone has said! (except that about Tracey's helpsite, but only because I don't know it!!) Please don't panic. If you fancy the numeracy and literacy optionals, there's no reason you can't do them, it will just mean you spending some time with Y1, should be easy to organise, but you don't have to do anything yet, optionals shouldn't come into the picture until you're settled with the award!! I would think if you're working or intend to do so, in a school, they would be ideal!

Sue :D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)