Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Making Lottery Tickets

Anyone have any ideas how to make 'lottery' tickets?

One little boy was using a train ticket - the black strip on the back; he found a coin but of course could not rub anything off! He said "My Mum does this and it changes colour - to grey".

Any ideas?

thats pretty good Holly. I presume that she means washing up liquid? might be giving it a try. if she's doing it on photo paper, that would be shiny too, might make it easier to scratch off.

you find those scratch off cards that you always win something that rip you off in those free bits in magazines and papers. :ph34r:

Would some people think that making lottery tickets with children promotes gambling?

Not my view. Just a thought though.

I guess it doesn't have to be a 'lottery ticket' really, more just something that can be revealed using a method the child is familiar with. I've heard of it used with older children in peer supported work to reveal the answer about something they had to work on together for example.

Would some people think that making lottery tickets with children promotes gambling?

Not my view. Just a thought though.

Yes, I agree wholeheartedly! However, I intend to use the 'scratch card' in other ways - I was thinking that I could perhaps have a single/two or three digit number (linked to ability) hidden and they have to match it to a number displayed on the wall - haven't really thought through the finer details!

• 1 month later...

Has anybody tried making these yet? Is our equivalent washing up liquid ?

Mmm - just made them today; not very successful :( !

I used 50/50 black acrylic paint and washing-up liquid - yes you could scratch it off, but the light card (160g) that I used was left with a dark grey stain which made the numeral printed on the card unclear - you could see it but it was not brilliant. I think I might try it with acrylic paint and PVA. I have thought about using a shiny card (my husband tried the mixture on a book cover - and it worked well, the mixture scratched off easily without leaving a stain), but I don't think my printer will print on shiny paper ... Maybe photographic paper would work?

Overall - disappointing, but will try again!

x

Edited by Guest

Mmm - just made them today; not very successful :( !

I used 50/50 black acrylic paint and washing-up liquid - yes you could scratch it off, but the light card (160g) that I used was left with a dark grey stain which made the numeral printed on the card unclear - you could see it but it was not brilliant. I think I might try it with acrylic paint and PVA. I have thought about using a shiny card (my husband tried the mixture on a book cover - and it worked well, the mixture scratched off easily without leaving a stain), but I don't think my printer will print on shiny paper ... Maybe photographic paper would work?

Overall - disappointing, but will try again!

x

Shame, think it will be the hols before I get time now, lets us know how you got on!

Hi

If you google 'scratch art' (prices start at £2.99) you can cut these up to make scratch cards, great for fine motor movements and very colourful.

I did this in secondary school in Art class but we made it ourselve with wax crayons and ink over the top or similar, im sorry I cant remember exactly, im going to look into it. :1b

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)