Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Carpet time

How long do people feel isan acceptable amount of time for Rec chdn to be on the carpet (for xample as an intro to a maths/literacy session)??

When i say -'on the carpet' I don't mean sitting passvely I mean that they would be taking part in active learning (ie: writing on whitebaords.

It does change over the year as they get older, so it would depends really - if they start to fall off their own bottoms then it's probably reached too long!

Max 20 mins for this time of year, I would say, and as you say, interactive for most children most of the time.

I'm just trying to gauge opinions here - if you had observed a session then - at this time of the year - where children had been on the carpet or 25 -30 mins - but were active , enagaged and focused throughout - would you grade the lesson as requires improvemet or good??

We have a school target of 20% teacher talk and 80% children being busy and doing during each session so if you look at say a 40 minute Maths session that would equate to 8 minutes on the carpet. 25-30 mins sounds a long time to be on the carpet to me especially for reception. I observed my GTP student in year 1 today and marked her down for the very same reason- too long on the carpet (20 minutes in this case for year 1)

Deb

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)