Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Potty Training a child with SEN

I am a child minder and currently looking after a child who has just turned 3yrs old. He has communication difficulties and I am in the process of liasing with HV, SLT etc with a view to him seeing a paediatrician as I think he has an ASD.

He has just started at a nursery to do his funded hours - 3hrs a day, 5 days a week. They told parents at his induction day that he was ready to toilet train! How could they possibly know in that short amount of time. I on the other hand dont think he is. He doesnt know when he has pood and when I ask him he either says yes (when he hasnt) or looks blankly. Nursery have also suggested to parents that they put him in pull ups. If he doesnt know that he has soiled his nappy, how on earth is he going to know the difference between a pull up and a nappy?

Also do any other child minders on here have any tips for potty training. I find it difficult as Im in and out all day. In the past I have asked parents to take a few days off with their child so they can stay inside and potty train properly. This has worked well in the past.

Any advice would be gratefully recieved.

thank you

Have you thought about trying symbols with him ? Ie when he does a poo show him the symbol for poo same for wee. I would say no pressure is the key, the parents may want to listen to the preschool as that's what they want to hear but if he has no comprehension he's clearly not ready. Like I say when you change him introduce the symbols and see how it goes. There's a great site where you can get free symbols from its http://www.resourcesforinclusion.co.uk. Good luck xx

Thanks for your help

I spoke to mum when she collected him last night. She doesnt really think hes ready to potty train either. Ive advised her to try him in pants over the weekend and see how he goes. He obviously needs to feel wet to know hes had a wee anyway.

I will have a go with the symbols and see how it goes.

Joanne

sorry to say but my thought is the nursery just want him trained to make their life easier.. or not if he is in pants and they will be constantly clearing up... they have no way of knowing on an induction day what he is ready for or not... maybe it is something they say to all parents who start the setting with a child not clean and dry yet.

Pull ups or nappies... pull ups may make it easier for staff to take him to the toilet.. not necessarily good though if he has no idea of when he needs to go, possibly a compromise which could work, even if they have to change them.

if mum thinks he is not yet ready she will need to tell the setting this and let her make the decision on when to try, she knows her child better than they do .I don't know how long he has been with you, but it also sounds like you know them well enough for the parent to voice concerns and ask for advice .. if after the weekend all has failed then I would suggest she waits... to help with feeling wet so he understands the feeling, I had many parents put underpants under the nappy, this gave the wet sensation without the puddles and constant issues of not realising they are wet... (nappies really are too dry these days...think it is the reason many are trained later than when there were only cloth nappies! no sensation of wet for the child )

the symbols may work but only if he knows he needs to go... otherwise it could cause more issues later if he is being assessed and starting on one symbol now is there the possibility of having a programme with different ones in future that could cause confusion.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)