Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

A starter

Hi everyone.

I'm returning from maternity leave after the Easter break. I started the year with this class and finished at October half term.

I meant to bring the cover teachers planning folder home with me but I forgot it on the INSET day and school is closed.

I'm not really sure where to start with literacy (writing), I know that this area is not as strong for them as it has been in previous cohorts.

I thought about doing an activity around some new construction materials that I have bought, asking them to make a label for the box with sort of a 'contents' on it so they have to count and label the pieces, I was thinking I could make it into a bit of a competition.....? This would mean I could see the level of support that was required for each child but the outcome could be very dependent on their ability.

I'm really not sure and I'm feeling a little rusty after having this time off, and I know that the head won't want me hanging about too much before I start moving them forward because I should be able to trust the assessments of the cover teacher. But I'm finding it tricky to plan when I don't know the children like I usually do.

I'm sure that after I've been back a week Ill be fine.

Hi!

I think any sort of 'getting to know them and where they're at' activity like this will be fine and the head will appreciate that you need to have the opportunity to see this for yourself! Hopefully you'll have some support (TA?) that's been with them who can help you too!

Good luck!

Guest LornaW

I agree with Madmum you need to spend time just getting to know one another again, establishing routines and boundaries and if it takes a week it will be time well spent! They will want to ask you questions and tell you things so a week of "getting acquainted again" would be good use of time and also an assessment opportunity for you!

Have a good time!

LornaW

i agree that a week spent establishig levels, rules and routines you want and secure relationships is essential. also need to find out their interests to plan in activities to move them on, and get to know parents. hope you have support? x

Yes I have a full time Ish TA who is brilliant and has been there all through so has a great idea of where they're at. I also know she'll help hold everything together while I find my feet again lol!

I've been in a few times while I've been off and every time they just want to bombard me with information which is great! I really can't wait to get back into it.

I also have a few new ones who don't know me and I don't know them or their parents so will need time to establish relationships with them.

Thanks for your support.

:)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)