Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

doubling

Hi all

I am doing doubling first week back after the holidays. I have not ever taught doubles before. But we are doing the topic minibeasts. I will get the children to make their own ladybirds and then we will double the amount of spots. I have some double jigsaws. I was thinking the children could make their own doubles dominos? I was after some more practical ideas. Could you share any that you have done in your own classrooms?

Thank you

SUnai

Not remotely related to minibeasts but we made 'Doubles soup' Children worked with friend and they had a recipe card labelled 'Soup for one' - because there were two of them they had to double the ingredients. I'd written the recipe so they said things like '2 bits of carrot, 3 spoons of tomatoes' and they were differentiated so that my more able had larger quantities to double. Children put their doubled ingredients into a large communal bowl and later we added some veg stock, a bit of garlic and microwaved it before blending. Everyone tried some loved it and came back for more, some even said they wanted to make it at home and wrote the recipe down!

• Like 1

Here you go - you may need to change the font - we have a precursive one at school which probably won't work on computers without it. I just added veg stock to cover the vegetables, squished in a clove of garlic and microwaved until the veggies were soft enough to blend. On this occasion I'd pre-chopped all of them so the focus was on the doubling rather than the chopping but obviously you could get the children to do the chopping too.

The file has 4 recipe cards to a page - each one at a different level. Hope you like it.

Maths - soup recipe to double.doc

• 1 month later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)