Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Staff turnover

Ok,so... in the past, I have been really fortunate(?) in that the same staff have stayed year after year at the setting for the last 5/6 years and 1 member 11 years- all level 3/4, graduates etc. There are only 7 of us in total including myself, owner manager.Whilst this has brought stability in many ways, it has also lead to some staff being, shall I say, less interested,in keeping up with the changes,developments and demands put on us too.

I am now in the exciting position through a variety of different personal reasons with my team ,where several of my original staff bar one have left during the last 6 months. I am happy with my new team but some staff are still gaining experience etc.

We are overdue Ofsted (I know this has been a factor in why some of my experienced staff have had enough of the sector /political climate and left to do other jobs)

Has anyone else been in the position where they've had Ofsted with a virtually new staff team some still working towards qualifications etc? It's not that I 'm worried with our performance it's just it's not as slick as it was in the past yet as we are still working on building the new team and don't know each other so well...

Apologies for the ramble!

I start a new job soon and I am joining a team quite similar to what you describe and been thinking about the do's and don'ts of joining already established teams. In your case its about establishing your expectations really early on, visioning session to establish the setting goals so everyone from the start knows what they are working towards. From my experience OFSTED are suckers for a setting that has a strong and robust sense of where they are, where they are going and what they are currently doing to get there. So you are actually in a key position with a new team to really embed your vision for the setting and remember they have got to own it! Im probably teaching you to suck eggs! xD

Edited by Alabaloo

You really shouldn't be at a disadvantage with a new team, as long as you can show how you are supporting and mentoring your colleagues, through supervisions and appraisals, observations of practice/feedback to staff, etc. Also, make sure they are all involved in your self-evaluation programme. :1b

May be an obvious question but have you notified Ofsted about the significant staff changes - am sure I read somewhere that if you have had turnover of more than 50% of the team in the last year Ofsted need to be informed. Would hate them to come in and you get into grief about this ? Also have you updated the SEF to reflect the new set of changes/challenges?

redjayne- are you sure about this. I dont think Ofsted even know who works at my setting and my newest member of staff has been with us for nearly 8 years and through two inspections. As far as I'm aware they only care about the manager and committee/owner. They dont do crb's etc on staff anymore