Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Crazy Soap

I attended a phonics course today run by Helen Bromley(she writes for EYE). Very inspiring!! I discovered a product called Kids Stuff Crazy Soap. You can buy it from Tescos. Its in the bath section ( I had three members of staff looking for it. I was not going to leave the shop without it :o ) It is like shaving foam except that you can mould it. It cost £1.40 a can. Has anybody else used it? What other products do people use?

Well it was suggested that you bury letters in it and if children didn't want to handle it they could use clothes pegs to fish them out. She had a photo of a child who had modelled it into a horse. I guess its a cross between shaving foam and dough. She also suggested hair gel for children to 'finger paint' in. Also to cover the foam / cornflour with cling film and let the children explore. Another idea was to dip spong letters in lemon juice and place it onto tissue paper. The letter will 'magically' appear on the tissue paper (I also left the supermarket with gel and lemon juice). Chalk letters onto your builders tray and get the children to throw beanbags into the relevant tray.

We have used letters and numbers in shaving foam in the water tray and the children love it! We have also used jelly with equal enjoyment. Today we burried letters in the digging pit and the children discovered them and used them for sorting and recognition activities.

• 2 weeks later...

i have bought some today from sainsburys it was £1.49 a tin i cant wait to use it tommorrow with the children hope they enjoy it as much as i hope they will.

i was also told today that the shaving foam from aldi is really good and is really cheap i will look tommorrow as there is one in they high street by where i work

Cooked spagetti is wonderful fun - but horrible to clear up after.

We have a batch of interesting dough at the moment, with added glitter, scents, tiny beads. One of my staff organised a social dough making evening with a group of parents in her home. They made enough dough to last for ages.

Other things we use are trays of soil with diggers or dinosaurs, fine sand with mark makers, plasticene, clay, jelly, gloop (cornflour), lentils.

Have fun

Al

I'm so glad to hear you can get crazy soap at Sainsburys, as I no longer live or work anywhere near a big enough Tesco (just a Tesco express), and was beginning to wonder when I would ever get in on the act! However, I will be shopping at Sainsburys later, so will have a look for some for next week. Thankyou!

Hi I have just bought several cans of crazy soap from tesco's, there was also another teacher purchasing it at the same time as me!!!

Cant wait to use it tomorrow! Thanks for the idea.

p.s. Whatdo the children do with the cooked spagetti? and how much do you put in the water? :o

Thanks

Sarah :D

My class love crazy soap too. Tesco has some really good things for in the water. They have letter jigsaws and letters. I use glitter in the water to aid imagination and allow the children to use torches (some support needed to not drop in the water). I use tongs also......this develops motor skills and i use very big tongs (like the ones you use in the kitchen) to very small ones like tweezers. The children like to use these the sand too. I generally go to tesco etc and buy cheap kitchen things which the children love to use in the water and sand...like sieves,wooden spoons, plastic bowls and measuring jugs.

I thought about the spaghetti idea but changed my mind after using porridge with food colouring for the children to explore.

My class love crazy soap too. Tesco has some really good things for in the water. They have letter jigsaws and letters. I use glitter in the water to aid imagination and allow the children to use torches (some support needed to not drop in the water). I use tongs also......this develops motor skills and i use very big tongs (like the ones you use in the kitchen) to very small ones like tweezers. The children like to use these the sand too. I generally go to tesco etc and buy cheap kitchen things which the children love to use in the water and sand...like sieves,wooden spoons, plastic bowls and measuring jugs.

I thought about the spaghetti idea but changed my mind after using porridge with food colouring for the children to explore.

39939[/snapback]

I bought Crazy Soap yesterday (1.39 at Tesco). They say it bounces! Not from my experience! I've played with it with my own children (OK, I admit, not EY - aged 11 and 14) and the best fun we had was clapping hands with a blob in one palm. Try it! LOL. No mess to clear up! Messy play at its easiest!

Diane

P.S. Hide a latex glove in the dry sand (glove filled with water and securely Knotted at the wrist). Great fun to feel. Let it burst (either via adult help with sharp implement, or just as it comes with over-enthusiatic play). More great fun, and loads of scope for language.

Hi,

just a quickie, here, if you use Diane's glove idea, please be aware that Latex allergy is becoming more common - check no-one is susceptible, adults included, as reactions can be extreme. Sainsbury's do a latex-free disposable glove in packs of 10 or 20.

Sue :D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)