Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Expected levels in writing?

Just wondering if anyone else thinks that what is now regarded as expected in writing is the same as what was a point 9 which was very hard to achieve by most children in Reception. The exemplification material give examples of writing of an expected level and these are the same as what you would look at if you were awarding a child a point 9. Worried that the children will not achieve the 'expected' level despite making good progress and being well on their way to becoming writers in a play based learning environment. I have looked at the revised national curriculum and some of the ELG's could easily be part of the Year 1 objectives therefore being unfair to describe the ELG's as expected particularly in Reading, Writing, Physical and Numeracy. I think Reception teachers and parents will be left feeling like they have let children down.

Guest ShelleyT

I think I will have many children still working at an emerging level in June. I won't feel like I have let my children down if I have done the best I can!

It's just the wording if that is what is classed as expected and it seems to be way beyond what we expected as a good level of progress in the past. We will look like we are not getting the best out of the children in Reception and all those that only gave 6 points in the past will no way get expected. Despite doing the best I can still feel that it's not a good message coming from Reception.

Guest ChunkyMan

My take on it, is that what was considered to be an average child (6+ points in PSED and CLL with an overall score of 78+) will now be emerging and point 9 is an expected child - last year we got our best ever score of 60% achieving a GLD, I dread to think what it will be this year especially in Lit and MD!!!!!! I have also been lead to believe that if we don't make this new curriculum/profile etc work then heaven knows what THEY will do then?

Cx

it's the same for nursery. children expected to be emerging into 40-60 band at end of year, and suddenly things i used to do in reception are in 30-50 band, which they are expected to have achieved all of. in physical copying letters e.g. from name is in 30-50. in reading 'Knows that print carries meaning and, in English, is read from left to right and top to bottom.' is 30-50 - this was scale point 4 before i believe

'Continues a rhyming string'. and 'Hears and says the initial sound in words.' are expected at end of year as in 40-60 and easiest to achieve of band, and expected to be emerging in the band.

in maths 'Beginning to represent numbers using fingers, marks on paper or pictures.' is 30-50 so children now expected to be recording number/quantity and more

i'll feel bad if they don't get to where they should be, but when many enter in 22-36 band and some below this, what do we do? and i DONT WANT TO GO DOWN THE FORMAL ROUTE THANK YOU VERY MUCH

Thank you pleased that others are thinking the same at the end of the day they are where they are. Do you think they are thinking of a transitional phase into year 1 as there is a cross over when you look at the new curriculum. I suppose all the Summer birthdays would be emerging as they are still within the 40 - 60. We will see what happens when we have done a full year!!!!!!!!

That's great just read it and it just confirms what I was thinking. Just have to try and explain to parents that some children will not be at an expected level by the end of Reception which seems unfair and sounds so bad.

I think we have to be realistic and look at the starting points of our children. Very often the children who are at the lower end have made the most progress. We just have to argue this point with the powers that be. Not sure if that will be good enough for them though!!!!

• 2 months later...

HI all,

I know I'm a little late in this discussion but I agree with all of you. I feel that the children in my reception classes would have been on track to do well in the profile (achieving 6+) but with the goal posts moved and the 'expected' similar to scale points 8 and 9, these children didn't stand a chance really. Last year in nursery they were working with the old development matters and making good progress, now they are still making good progress but essentially could be in an age band for longer as statements have changed, therefore, they probably won't achieve the 'expected' (hope that makes sense).

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)