Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Box Of Boxes

During the summer hols I gathered a lot of small boxes. You know, the boxes a pair of earings come in, watch boxes, different sized gift boxes, pretty ones with flowers on, little padded ones, small decorative tins, boxes that open different ways, etc. I found a large tray box (about 2ft long, 18 inches wide and 4 inches deep) that all the small boxes would fit into if you jiggled them about a bit. Inside some of the boxes I put different things - plastic insects, little dolls house people, dinosaurs, large threading beads, farm animals, necklaces, sponges, etc. The children love our "box of boxes" - they shake the boxes and try to guess if there is anything inside them and what it could be. As the boxes open different ways they sometimes spend a while trying to get the hang of opening them. They have to fit the right lid on the right bottom, they try to predict if an item would fit into a certain box - is it too small/big? They play hunt the ladybird - who can find it first. In fact so much can be learned from this very popular and yet so simple activity. The children love it. :D and it doesn't cost a penny. :D:D:D

Sue J

Great idea - I have used the good old IKEA round boxes that go into each other - but different shapes, sizes, fastenings, etc sounds much more fun.

I suppose I am going to have more "rubbish" now hanging around on my worktop as I wait to find enough... my house is full of bits/thingammy/articles/papers/containers that might just come in useful at playgroup.......... :o

Nikki

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)