Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Interview for Nursery Nurse

I will be interviewing candidates for the post of nursery nurse at some time in the coming weeks; does anyone have any advice with regard to good interview questions etc.

The post is for a part-time (mornings only) nursery nurse within a maintained nursery unit.

Thanks!

:1b

I was a nursery nurse (NNEB) who went for a position in a maintained nursery many moons ago and can't think that at any of those questions would now be relevant!!!! It was about 16 years ago!!

If the person is actually a nursery nurse with NNEB qualification I probably wouldn't ask too much about experience via training, but if level 3 NVQ I would want to know about the experiences the applicant has had to gain this qualification as I believe some of the training isn't robust.

I would also have wanted to see the person in action.

I would ask them for their thoughts on the usual stuff like safeguarding, dealing with upset/ angry parents etc but I would also want to hear about an activity that they had led: providing an opportunity to talk about the EYFS and what the activity covered/ showed. I would ask about their thoughts on play based experiences too.

Can't think what else right now!

I would want to see that person in action though. For sure!

For me the most important thing is for them to work in the session, so we can see how they interact with the children and the other staff are able to give some feedback about them. In the past I have had a member of staff who fell apart at the interview but was great with the children and as part of the team!!

• Like 3

Ask them what they thought of the Olympics, have they been on a motor bike, what's their favourite festival of the year, what's their favourite memory of their childhood, What is on your internal Jukebox now, favourite TV programme, what makes your best friend your best friend, what would your close friends/family say is great/ needs improving about you, if you had a theme tune for your life what would it be....and WHY? You will have the most interesting and entertaining interview ever! xD :lol: xD

The obvious ones - safeguarding knowledge, child development and behaviour management

The ones I used at the end of each interview were

Is there anything you would have liked me to ask about you /your work experience that I didn't?

and

Why should you be selected for this position rather than someone else?