Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

New Level 5 qualification

Guest sn0wdr0p

Guest sn0wdr0p

I think we are all in a state of limbo at the moment following recent reviews of qualification.. I have a degree in an unrelated subject and level 4 in childcare and intended to do my EYPS last year but after reading the Nutbrown review decided to wait and see what happens. The EYT is an option but as owner and manager of my setting I wanted to take a qualification more tailored to my needs and employ an EYT for working directly with the children. (I do spend a lot of time working with the children but am often pulled away by other responsibilities) but would have to undertake my maths and science GCSEs - they were O levels in my day. The existing level 5 City and Guilds qualification in Leadership in Health and Social Care and Children and Young Peoples Services was not specific enough either however there is now a new level 5 in response to the Nutbrown Review concerns The City and Guilds Level 5 Diploma in Leadership for the Children and Young People’s Workforce - Early Years (QCF) which has two pathways Management or Advanced Practice. You can take one pathway then 'top up' to do the other pathway as well. This seems ideal for me as I can then do the BA Top Up.

I have spent a year dithering over what to do and would welcome all your thoughts and opinions and would also like to know if any of you know anything about this new qualification.

There was an article about it in this weeks Nursery World I think ? It costs about £1,700 but can't recall the name of the company who were advertising it . Not much use really - might be worth googling it or Nursery World?

Yes I read about this in last weeks nursery world.

Those who sign up with PBD by 31 March 2013 will get a £300 discount on the price of £1,750.

It appears to be for managers/deputy's. The units looks very relevant to my everyday practice so I am very interested.

Guest sn0wdr0p

Yes it was the advert in Nursery World that alerted me. I looked at their website and just as for you Bubblejack it all looked a lot more relevant to what I do. I have to make my decision quickly though as the £300 discount would be a great help. That's why I need all your input as few people appear to have heard if it - my EYA hadn't when I met her last week to discuss the EYT route but I am seeing her again this week so I will ask her opinion now I have more info to hand.

Perhaps I can help. It has only just been launched by City & Guilds which is why so few have heard of it, but they have been running it for over a year very successfully in Wales and Northern Ireland where it is a requirement for setting managers. Assessment is by a mix of direct workplace observation, professional discussion (face to face and via Skype), witness testimony and a detailed reflective journal. Evidence portfolio is maintained online rather than in the dreaded ring binder which is always in the wrong place! The underpinning knowledge is delivered on line, mainly in the form of directed self-study and research. Intellectually it is at the same QCF level as the first year of a foundation degree, but less 'academic' - no classrooms, lectures or 5000 word essays! Where the individual is paying for themselves, we are offering interest free instalments over six months - so a £250 deposit followed by 6 x £200 for those who sign up by the end of March. Lots more information about the qualification, and about PBD, at www.pbdevelopment.co.uk/level5 or from the C&G website.

Ross Midgley, Director PBD 01440 731731

Just one more thing, as I don't want to mislead anyone. There is no formal UCAS tariff for this - the UCAS proces is frozen until 2015 - so there is no automatic top up route for anyone who achieves this level 5 and then wants to go on to a foundation degree or BA. However individual colleges may well accept it as conferring some exemption and C&G is trying to get some formal links established. But if that's the route you want to take, ask your intended college first. Ross

Your post just answered my questions, midgler - thanks for the clarification.

I was a bit confused also - earlier in the thread it said it was a Level 5 course, but you said it was equivalent to the first year of a Foundation Degree which is Level 4.

For those of you trying to decide what to do, but wanting ultimately to do a Foundation Degree, midgler's advice about asking your University or partner College is very good. Make sure before you know the position before you start, unless you view doing this course as a kind of preparation for University study and you don't mind doing both. :1b

Guest sn0wdr0p

Thank you all for your comments. I still think this may be the route to take. My LA are willing to fund 75% plus the early booking discount will make this very affordable. The only barrier may be that following a conversation with PBD today is that they may not have assessors in this area as they are based down south so those of you in Yorkshire please let them know if you are interested as the more interest the more likely they are to support learners Oop North.

I have contacted JHP who we have always used for our training (who have just merged with Learn Direct) to enquire if they are going to offer this and await their reply.

I agree with HappyMaz if you have an inkling to do Foundation degrees, BA or Early Years Teacher you do need to check with your University as I think that my local will not allow you to top up toa BA or progress to Early Years Teacher Status unless your qualification is on the HEI framework as opposed to the QCF framework.

Guest sn0wdr0p

My LA workforce development team said this will be counted as a full and relevant qualification on the DfE site and should be OK.

• 8 months later...

I've just started this course.

My assessor is based in Yorkshire and is prepared to travel across the penines to see me (already been to see me to explain the whole process and for me to pick my optional units).

Just need to get my head around the reflective journal part now!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)