Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Assessment

Although we feel more confident with obs and assessment all the time, I still feel like I need someone to just talk me through a few things and this seems like the best place to ask for that help.

We do have an LA advisor but everytime she has visited I feel like throwing in the towel and looking for that gardening job I should have gone for 20 years ago or just sitting down and weeping!

When some children are already 53 months and will be 58 months when they leave us, is it ok to be giving them most of the Development Matters in 40-60 months? If so, what happens in Reception Class? Our local teacher asked us to give her a sheet of 30-50 months with their progress when they go up. But if they are 58 months couldn't they be above this?

Also where there is only one Development Matter in the 40-60 months band how can they be anything but Secure?

Do they have to have all Development Matters in a level before you can consider them to have gone up or is it just the "Best Fit" idea of what you feel fits best from what you know of that child?

Sorry if these are silly questions. I just can't seem to get my head round what various people have told me.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Melba

Sorry you are feeling so fed up with all this....sending you a virtual hug cos a hug always helps :1b

Now, those clever people will be along soon to give you a proper answer but just stating the obvious.....if a child is 53 months old and developmentally working at 53 months then why would you record anything in the 30 - 50 months age band.

53 months is in 40 - 60 so record accordingly.

You can only observe and assess the child as you see them and as the facts are.

Keep going, I bet you are doing this so much better than you think x

• Like 1

Thanks Sue. Possibly a hug is the best thing.

My husband spent the day in the A&E department of local hospital with a girl who fell off her bike near his work. He said she needed a hug but he obviously did not feel comfortable with that as he doesn't know her.

Not silly questions at all, Melba.

Do they have to have all Development Matters in a level before you can consider them to have gone up or is it just the "Best Fit" idea of what you feel fits best from what you know of that child?

The dev matters statements are not to be used as a ticklist in this way- and you are right to think of it as a best fit approach.

I'm not sure why your reception teacher wants a sheet covering just the 30-50 months- you needs to demonstrate actual assessment with the children, and, as Sue says, if they are operating at 40-60, then that's what you need to record. Sorry you have had conflicting advice from various sources- I can imagine how overwhelming it must be. :(

Keep at it- you're doing it right :1b

• Like 1

If your children are at the level of 40-60 then you should plot them as such and not feel under pressure to score them lower.

Most of our children are in the 40-60 bracket

They want a lower score so they can show they have moved and progressed the children not you

stand firm and be proud of your achievements

If your children are at the level of 40-60 then you should plot them as such and not feel under pressure to score them lower.

Most of our children are in the 40-60 bracket

They want a lower score so they can show they have moved and progressed the children not you

stand firm and be proud of your achievements

Ditto :1b

Don't forget also that your local reception teacher will have his/her own agenda and will be under pressure when the children go off to school to demonstrate progression and "value added" - much easier to do if you by scoring them lower provide a lower baseline entry!

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)