Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

reward system for very challenging child

Hi all

looking for some advice really. I have an extremely challenging child in the setting at the moment. Up until this term he took no notice of visuals at all, however they have just started to click (a little we aren't getting too excited) now the problem I wondered if now would be a good time to introduce a behaviour chart but what to use as the incentive or reward. He takes no notice of stickers, needs far more than a thumbs up kind of approach and doesn't have any toys or adult or children that he likes playing with enough to use. He loves the bikes but we have them out a lot any way and encourage him to use them to help manage the behaviour so it would not be a treat.

it has been suggested that I could have a box with some cheap pocket money items in it that when he reaches and agreed target he gets to choose something out of the box/bag. This could work as he has a very short attention span so the constant change of reward would work, however there is obviously the cost implication.

In terms target three good things a session would be more than enough to start and may on some session be hard to achieve. So do I make it a delve in a box/bag every session, every two session if he gets three targets? I would really want to make it so that he can be successful every session where possible to try and turn the tide of negative (from his parents, staff other people) to positive.

Also what happens if other children spot the system we could not sustain it for everyone and do we then compromise the well behaved children for this one child!!! I mean we do a number of positive reward style practices in general and for most children this would be enough but if I now have a box to delve in would this make those practices obsolete or meaningless??

any suggestions would be gratefully received

thanks

We have a similar child in our setting - what's working with him at the moment is marbles in a jar ( or could be plastic bears/stones/any other collectible - we use marbles because he likes to look at the colours and choose) He gets a marble for anything positive any member of staff sees him do throughout the session, and he is told why he has the reward. When he has 20 marbles he can choose what we will cook at the next cookery session, he loves cooking and helping. Mum has also implemented this at home and so far so good, he seems to have turned a corner!

• Like 3

we did similar with my key child at a previous setting- he loved dinosaurs so he helped me decorate a tin with dinosaurs and we put in dinosaur eggs and removed one for inappropriate behaviour but replaced if he redeemed himself - 5 a day and then mum told and rewarded at home as well as at preschool

• Like 1

We did it with pirate coins and a treasure chest, just a case of finding what engages him. We used photos of resources and toys that were not readily available and our child chose what his reward would be and this was put on a board on the wall so that he could see it during the session. He did tend to choose the same thing (the ipad) but that was fine.

In our setting we have some simuler children who are challenging so what we have been advised to use is a marble jar. This is a system for all children when they do somthing that is good we stright away reward the child and they put a marble in the jar. We then at circle time give a reason and try to let everyone put a marble in the jar but making sure we tell them what behaviour/thing they did which was good. The children then get a treat when the jar is full up which they choose them selfs. some of the treats we have had our, Parachute, Rocket that goes in sky, Special toys come out, Go to the recreation grounds, tasteing new food like chinese at chinese new year/pancake days. Hope this helps a bit x x x

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)