Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

eyfs changing goalposts

I have spent the last four years getting my foundation degree and gcse in maths. I dont need to tell you how hard it is with my own business and young family.

Any way now looking at eyps which is what government wanted in every early years setting.

Cant do eyps any more have to do early years teacher training which requires gcse in science. No dont have that.

At the end of my tether. I am 40 something dont want to keep studying.

Is any one else in this situation.

Buttercup

I am in the same position - although I haven't done my maths yet, I have no enthusiasm to do it and the new teacher training puts me off even more, as I would need a science as well!!

Run my own nursery for 19 years and now need to jump through hoops to meet government targets. Maths and science GCSE isn't going to help me now !!!!

• Like 5

yes you can do maths and science equivelency tests i did maths through ou no exams. did not understand equations at school still dont now but have the certificate

yes the last four years was not a waste of time just feel that I have not reached my goal and governments goal.

hubby says forget it and dont bother

buttercup

M !!!!! :P With EYP being replaced with EYT you will need science as well as maths and english - BUT if you already have EYP you will automaticaaly get EYT status so do not have to have sciece - whewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww :rolleyes:

I just went and had another look - I just hadn't taken in the science bit when I read that EYTs would need to meet the same criteria as EYPs. I'm a numpty.

Actually I have to say this was my biggest query whenever we were told EYPS was equivalent in status to QTS - if that was really true we'd have had to have GCSE science too. We're continually asking for a level playing field, so they've taken us at our word.

Very relieved that I won't have to do Science GCSE, although I guess that would put me at a disadvantage if I was competing with a candidate who had achieved EYT status when that is up and running.

So I stopped at BA early years education but am interested in EYT (although I don't know how I can do it) is their any information? Has it started? I have no maths (that's why I shyed away from EYP) or science - I'm working in school but am interested to get back to early years eventually - is their funding? Do you need to be in a setting? Etc etc etc - so many questions - sorry

As I see it, IvYRose, the entry qualifications for Early Years Teachers will be the same as for those who want to gain QTS: Maths, English and Science at Grade C or above, plus a degree (not sure if you can be an EYT with a non-childcare related degree, but we'll see!).

The last cohort of EYPS candidates will start their programme in September 2013 (so the last change to become an EYT without science, maybe, or will they introduce that new requirement for this group?). Then the new Early Years Teacher programme will commence, but there is not very much information available at the moment. I think it is a case of expressing an interest with your favoured training provider and keeping your eye open for further announcements and so on.

I may just give up working in September, and take a GCSE in Science and Maths and have done with it! :ph34r:

Thank you - as always a font of knowledge - I'm not sure who my training provider would be - guess I will have to reconnect with any contacts I had a year or so ago - thanks again x