Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Action Words

[ We use them with our less able ch in year one worked well we are using jolly phonics in rec, my ch are not ready for words they don't know any sounds, well with 2 exeptions :o

We made our own actions up for the high frequency words which helped the LA remember the flashcard and the MA remember the spelling. So for example for 'the' we would hold our thumb up to our mouth like the jolly phonic action. we would then extend it by saying t - h - e while moving our thumb to our mouth three times. For 'come' we would beckon with our hand and for the spelling we would beckon 4 times with each letter. Hope you understand this!!! It really worked well, especially for the lower ability children with their flashcards and because we used Jolly phonics as well they made progress quite quickly. From about January onwards we had a word a week and would just get together and think of an appropriate action. Ah the memories! I'm on maternity leave and am quite missing all the new starters! Baby is due in 3 weeks.

HTH

Laura

Whilst at my last school we had hearing impared children and we had to learn basic sign language. We incorperated the BSL actions when teaching tricky words to the whole group, and it did seem to help

I have just bought the action words scheme and am hoping to start using them this week!!!! would be interestd to hear how other people are using them.

Sarah

We use Action Words in our school with the Reception children and found they work brilliantly. We introduce them along with Jolly Phonics. A new word is introduced every day and at the end of the week the children take home a set of 5 words to practice.

It is a fun and effective way of teaching children to read the High Frequency Words.

HI remiller and welcome! :D

Also welcome to laura, as she's been not made many psots although shes been a memeber for a while I see! Good luck with the baby Laura, it would be lovely if you are not too busy to keep posting.

They look great. May help speech and language too...

Thanks Ive added it to my favourites. The hardest part is getting school to order and pay for them... AHHHHH

MAndi

:) Hi

We too use Action Words alongside our Jolly Phonic teaching and it works really well, obviously different children learn them at different rates so we start by giving all the children 3 per week this soon changes to suit each individual.

Good luck :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)