Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Themes - TL/CI activities

Hi,

This is a bit of a random and possibly slightly embarrasing/stupid query but I'm going to ask anyway. Feel free to say 'doh' out loud!

I've noticed that in the threads on here about themes, many people reply with lists of things that they have done with their children - I'm just checking that these are a mixture of teacher-led activities and resources/ideas for use in the continuous provision? Not all teacher-led ideas? So when enhancing for a 'theme' you would provide theme-based resources for children to choose from which are relevant to the over-all provision that you want your children to access at that time. So,we provide different themed resources within provision areas but not all children would be expected to 'do' all activities as is normal within CI activities. Then, I will also plan a number of teacher-led activities which will be theme-based if that fits but not if it's just a tenuous link- if the specific learning that we want to cover doesn't fit within the topic then we choose a different context? Was just wondering that when others say 'we've done xyz' that they mean EVERYONE has done?

Just doing my usual checking!!

Thanks,

Green Hippo x

I would say that what you've described is exactly what we do. Themes for us are very loose and usually come from the children anyway. If we have specific learning outcomes/intentions that wouldn't easily fit into a theme, we plan a different activity. This also happens for children who are not motivated/interested by the theme - we plan different activities and they access the 'un-themed' continuous provision. Obviously, we wouldn't plan lots of activities round a theme if children have lost interest. They often take it in a different direction anyway.

So my answer to your not-at-all-silly question is YES you're right (in my opinion at least!) :1b

• Like 3

I would say that what you've described is exactly what we do. Themes for us are very loose and usually come from the children anyway. If we have specific learning outcomes/intentions that wouldn't easily fit into a theme, we plan a different activity. This also happens for children who are not motivated/interested by the theme - we plan different activities and they access the 'un-themed' continuous provision. Obviously, we wouldn't plan lots of activities round a theme if children have lost interest. They often take it in a different direction anyway.

So my answer to your not-at-all-silly question is YES you're right (in my opinion at least!) :1b

snap! x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)