Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

OOSC snacks

Melba

We have found that the problem of balancing what the children want to eat, what the parents want us to give them and the need for variety, has ended with us in a bit of a rut about what we offer as snacks in our Out of School Club.

Does anyone have some fantastic, easy, popular and healthy ideas?

OK ... bit more info.. what do you already give... any cooking facilities so they can make own.. ..

snacks at this time of the day are always difficult . they need something but of they have a meal when they get home don't want too much,, but after a day at school they can be hungry and need it..

We do have a very small kitchen with cooker and microwave.

We have offered lots of different things like noodles and potato wedges etc but find most children refuse them so end up serving pasta and pizza more than we want to. Although also give fruit and veg daily which is popular.

We are considering a more buffet style but are a bit worried that might be a lot more expensive.

Also we have concerns about serving meat as we are not that sure how that changes the Food Safety requirements so tend to stick to cheese and jam sort of things.

the OOSC I used to help at served breakfast - cereal or toast, or croissants/muffins with fresh juice, filling and mostly nutritious without filling them up to much so that they didn't eat their evening meal

Guest sn0wdr0p

Well I made blueberry muffins for todays after school snack and have just made a curried parsnip soup for tomorrow and will make some bread tomorrow to go with it. Ours also love pizza and I like to make the bases for the children to make their own individual pizzas when they get back from school. We also do fruit kebabs, toasted teacakes and one of their favourites -home made rice pudding (one of my personal taste hates). Scones are also popular as well as cheese on toast or even better ham and cheese toasties which they love. They also love baking though so at least once a week we do have 'naughty snacks'.

It is all very labout intensive though and we don't have the luxury of a cook so I was up making the muffins at 6.30am today to get them made before getting the children out of bed and heading off for a 9am meeting and have just pureed the soup to pop in the fridge once it's cooled. I find I don't have time during the day as I always seem to be answering the phone, taking children to the loo, changing nappies etc.etc. as well as managing to do the odd bit of paperwork.

Ooh make your own sandwiches is always a good one and not so much work for us. We just put out the bread and fillings such as ham, cheese, tuna mayo, jam and they make their own. Banana split - they like that especially putting cake sprinkes on it.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)