Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Spiderman Is Driving Me Mad !

I teach in a FSU (inner-ity) the boys' independent play all seems to be centred around guns and violence. Do any of you have any ideas on how to turn this around and make it work for me. Discouraging it doesn't seem to work. I was thinking about some play based around superheroes, but I can't seem to find a way of encouraging play about spiderman et al without it turning into a free-for -all. Don't really think I have explained myself properly, hope you know what I mean!

Help!

Not sure zero tolerance really works. I suppose if you start with spiderman you could look at spider webs maybe, the strength of them, how they are made? Could you rig up some pullies, or use different types of things to lift objects, wool, string, rope? Then maybe move onto superman, how strong some animals are, how fast they are etc. Not sure I ever personaly ever got round the fighting games, we usually just made sure there was an area of the room for that kind of thing and the children had to understand they could only shoot people who wanted to be involved in the game. I found that to ban that kind of play encouraged the children to tell fibs about what they were doing. I do remember asking them what happened when someone is shot, the reply was that they lie on the floor! I wasnt in anything like an inner city area so didnt feel the issues in the way you must. Sorry it's not very helpful. :o:D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)