Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Is your SEF pages and pages?

Greenfinch

Hello all

I know there is no right or wrong as such but my SEF seems to be long and detailed and just wondered if anyone else's is? Is it supposed to be short and concise?

In truth, I didn't have one before (sssh!) so have just almost finished it.

I'm not really waffling on or repeating etc, it just seems to be quite wordy.Is anyone else's like this? I don't want to put Ofsted off/irritate the inspector ( well I know they'd have to read it and are of course professionals etc but...)!

Edited by Greenfinch

Bullet points and a focus on impact/areas for development are the key things I advise for any SEF. It's not about what you do, it's about the difference you have made and what you have identified as what you need to do next.

Cx

• Like 1

I am in the middle of updating our SEF too and having gone on the Ofsted site...everything previously written has been cut/pasted into the new inspection format, mine seems 'waffly' too and thinking of doing it in sub headings with 'what we do, why and the impact'.

Catma can i ask if you focus on something in particular? (in terms of impact)

I think a sef needs what you have been doing in any development plans or as a result of previous self evaluation. Personally I think that the self evaluation gets lost In a long litany of what is done. I ask "so what"... You could be doing all sorts of things but evaluation is about identifying the difference you have made to behaviours, attitudes or understanding and therefore identifying what you need to do better, differently or indeed stop doing!
  • Like 1

I think a sef needs what you have been doing in any development plans or as a result of previous self evaluation. Personally I think that the self evaluation gets lost In a long litany of what is done. I ask "so what"... You could be doing all sorts of things but evaluation is about identifying the difference you have made to behaviours, attitudes or understanding and therefore identifying what you need to do better, differently or indeed stop doing!

thanks Catma...will get rid of some of the 'waffly' bits and make information more clear, with impact statements building on self-evaluation...think that's my job for next week

They read it before the inspection, that's why you submit it online.

Not everyone does, they encourage online submission but not everyone will be able to. The guidance for inspectors says that they should review it before the inspection "where available". If it's not available they would need to follow up duirng the inspection and also check that any previously available version was the most upto date.

The guidance for SEFs is quite helpful too and has recently been reissued.

http://www.ofsted.go...ly-years-founda

Cx

Edited by catma
  • Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)