Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Children Centres

Hi

Would love to hear from anyone who works in a Sure Start Children's Centre, especially if you have been involved with all the changes from converting from previous setting into a Children Centre.

At present we are an Early Years Centre and our building work is underway. The baby and toddler unit will be finished in about 10 weeks and needs furnishing etc. The whole thing won't be completed until May 2005 and we are now at the point of thinking about paperwork, ways to communicate with parents and policies etc for the under 2's area. I would appreciate any advice others can give me and would like to thank those who have already offered guidance and tips.

Thanks

Our preschool has just moved into a new building which is a satellite of a children's centre. It was originally going to be just for our preschool but to get funding it had to be a children's centre. TBH it has all been a bit traumatic as nobody kept us informed about this so I took over as supervisor last september being told that when I started we would be in our brand new building... we didn't move until the following July (ie a couple of months ago!) Then as we got closer to moving it suddenly wasn't just for us anymore (it wasn't sudden really, just we didn't know until then!) and we've gone from our own mobile where we could leave everything set out etc to being a user of hte centre. We know plenty of preschools also share premises but it is hard when you haven't before!!

We are hoping to expand into out of school care but hte under 2's is covered by a community room used by health visitors etc. So far it seems to be working out!

• 4 months later...

We are still waiting for our Childrens Centre its due to be completed in 2007 they haven't decided yet where its going to be housed typical Council!

:o

Hi all,

Have had a no pre school week this week so haven't been on for a while.

I had a very interesting meeting before we broke up for half term about childrens centres.

They are looking to put a childrens centre in the ward that my pre school is in.

They already have one in the ward next to me which is a mile away but my area is classed as a deprived area.

The co ordinator of the childrens centre rang me and asked me to attend as they had had a poor resonse from childcare settings in our area.

I went along assuming that there would be other preschools from my ward, only to find out that it was only me. In the meeting was 2 heads of local schools, manager of the other childrens centre and me.

Didn't think anything of this until I was asked to name all the other childcare facilities in my area. I showed them only to be told, they can't touch them because they are church based or privately owned.

Sorry, should explain that we are a committee run pre school based on an upper school site.

I felt that I was being earmarked for the childrens centre which concerns me for 2 reasons - the future of the pre school and the future of the staff and my jobs.

Although I agree with the idea of childrens centres, I do not want to be under the county council. Would I have a choice.....

Net x

The nursery I am in at the moment is going to be a satalite childrens centre along with two other nurseries in the area. I have no idea what this will mean for other settings in the area, and there are 5 to my certain knowledge. If I find out anything relating to different types of settings I'll get back to you. As chair of the local branch of the PLA, I'm aware that some of the settings affected are long established and although in theory I like the idea of Childrens centres, I'm worried about the possible impact on others. I've got a meeting with the PLA in a couple of weeks and I'm certain someone there will know more than me. :)

Hi all,

Have had a no pre school week this week so haven't been on for a while.

I had a very interesting meeting before we broke up for half term about childrens centres.

They are looking to put a childrens centre in the ward that my pre school is in.

They already have one in the ward next to me which is a mile away but my area is classed as a deprived area.

The co ordinator of the childrens centre rang me and asked me to attend as they had had a poor resonse from childcare settings in our area.

I went along assuming that there would be other preschools from my ward, only to find out that it was only me. In the meeting was 2 heads of local schools, manager of the other childrens centre and me.

Didn't think anything of this until I was asked to name all the other childcare facilities in my area. I showed them only to be told, they can't touch them because they are church based or privately owned.

Sorry, should explain that we are a committee run pre school based on an upper school site.

I felt that I was being earmarked for the childrens centre which concerns me for 2 reasons - the future of the pre school and the future of the staff and my jobs.

Although I agree with the idea of childrens centres, I do not want to be under the county council. Would I have a choice.....

Net x

48442[/snapback]

Hmmmm. Curious, I wonder why they "can't touch", work in partnership with church based or privately owned settings?

Peggy

I am wondering too Peggy! xD

Is it possibly that the LEA can decide what their buildings/sites are used for and if they choose to 'close/move/change' a pre-school based on their premises they can do so?

Sorry if it's a silly suggestion :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)