Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Phonics Illustrations/photos

Does anyone know a website where there are illustrations for each sound of the alphabet - trying to make some new phonic resources and have cut so many magazines to bits its driving me nuts!!!!!!

Does anyone know a website where there are illustrations for each sound of the alphabet - trying to make some new phonic resources and have cut so many magazines to bits its driving me nuts!!!!!!

37994[/snapback]

This drives me nuts, too! We use pictures on the name labels which children use for self-registration etc, so I'm always looking for good clip art. The tricky thing is that they have to match the initial sound of the child's name. So charlotte may have a chef, but so may Siobhan. And if we have lots of children with the same initial sound, it becomes very difficult - eg Amanda, Alex, Adam.....

There's a Featherstone Little Book of Phonics which is just a list of words for each letter of the alphabet and I find this very useful when I run out of inspiration (which is very frequently).

I use Microsoft Word, and access their online clipart.

I'll be watching with interest to see what recommendations you get!

Maz

This drives me nuts, too!  We use pictures on the name labels which children use for self-registration etc, so I'm always looking for good clip art.  The tricky thing is that they have to match the initial sound of the child's name.  So charlotte may have a chef, but so may Siobhan.  And if we have lots of children with the same initial sound, it becomes very difficult - eg Amanda, Alex, Adam.....

There's a Featherstone Little Book of Phonics which is just a list of words for each letter of the alphabet and I find this very useful when I run out of inspiration (which is very frequently).

I use Microsoft Word, and access their online clipart. 

I'll be watching with interest to see what recommendations you get!

Maz

38003[/snapback]

Thanks everyone - i might have a sunday night now!!!

Maz, I had the same problem with name labels and when I was chatting with a colleague who doesn't like drawing (we've drawn our own!) she said she used the same image for those who start with the same initial letter or phoneme. I thought about it and decided to do like wise but alter them very slightly, on the basis that the children would really have to look carefully for their, or their friends' names and not rely totally on the image. It seems to have worked out well.

Angela

Maz, I had the same problem with name labels and when I was chatting with a colleague who doesn't like drawing (we've drawn our own!) she said she used the same image for those who start with the same initial letter or phoneme.  I thought about it and decided to do like wise but alter them very slightly, on the basis that the children would really have to look  carefully for their, or their friends' names and not rely totally on the image.  It seems to have worked out well.

Angela

38009[/snapback]

Maz have you tried looking at the fonts available in 'Word' - we have one at school which illustrates the first letter - cant remeber its name though sorry.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)