Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Staff reference

Me again, sorry

If you get a reference just giving you factual information for a staff who have worked with the nursery for a year, a reference just detailing dates they worked, nothing more, do you read between the lines or what???. Nursery states that it is the responsibilty of the employer to make judgement on their suitability.

Hmm I think I might be inclined to. I was once asked to provide a reference for an ex staff member and gave brief factual details only. My reasoning was that the issues I'd had were possibly related to our setting and may not arise given the nature of the post she was applying for. However I wasn't (obviously) going to lie and say she was a great member of staff. I've also had a reference which wasn't quite that basic but equally wasn't overflowing with detail about how great the candidate was. On interview we weren't put off but the reference did raise questions with us. We used a trial period to further assess the candidate and found no issues so were happy to make the contract permanent.

It's a difficult call.

When I worked in a 'workplace' nursery we were part of a big organisation[nothing at all to do with childcare] the head of HR told us as part of company policy we only ever allowed to give basic factual references- so dates worked, time keeping etc - nothing else.

Thanks louby loo, exactly what the lady told me company policy when i called the nursery, her words were i have been instructed to give this reference, challenged her by saying it does not help if a nursery cannot give a proper reference to another knowing that we are dealing with children, she replied "i understand but company policy".

Thanks louby loo, exactly what the lady told me company policy when i called the nursery, her words were i have been instructed to give this reference, challenged her by saying it does not help if a nursery cannot give a proper reference to another knowing that we are dealing with children, she replied "i understand but company policy".

Which is not a helpfull policy for childcare... :( Our HR person was very forthright in ensuring we followed the policy to a 't'.

You have to go with you instinct - ask a lot of questions, and have a good induction/probation period! :D ::1a :D

xx

Yes this has been our experience too. However, when asked to provide information on disciplinary record, particularly relating to safeguarding issues etc (still 'factual' info) they were reluctant to share which I found strange...I could understand if I had asked for an opinion. When pressed an off the record conversation was had

Have also had 'confirmation of employment' references given via large non childcare organisations

It almost makes the process of the reference pointless!