Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Makaton

After finishing my NVQ 3 in August I am interested in learning how to sign in makaton and perhaps gaining a qualification. However I cannot find any information on courses or tutors in my area (Haverfordwest). Does anyone have any ideas?

Hi

Have you tried the Makaton website?

http://www.makaton.org/ If you let them know your address they will give you a list of tutors in your area.

Do you specifically want to do Makaton?

Signalong is another popular signing method

But BSL is the type of course you are likely to be able to do at a college.

If you have no luck perhaps you could get in touch with a speech and language therapist in your area who may be able to point you in the right direction.

PS The Makaton Nursery Rhyme video with Dave Benson Phillips is very good, and you can pick up alot of signing from that

Good Luck

Jo

Also if you have a special school or outreach facility in your area, you could try approaching them, some of the larger schools and outreach facilities hold training days on different topics which you may be able to join. Or they may be able to give you a contact.

Jo

Our course was run by a Speech & Language Therapist. I had the impression that she was the trainer for that PCT. It might be worth seeing if yours do something similar. If you belong to an Early Years Forum, perhaps they could look at putting on training for those interested? They can't take too many on a course, anyway, because it's so 'hands on' [excuse the pun!] that the tutor has to be able to see everybody's hands.

Training for makaton in our area is done by the local early years special needs group, Springboard, perhaps an area senco may be aware of what is available in your area.

Also worth a look is a BBC programme called Something Special. That has very easy signs to follow and learn from. try this link makaton signs for simple useful signs

Inge

I've struggled to find courses. Everything seems to different in different areas.

Does your local college do anything, ours does a short course on british sign language if that helps..

Mand

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)