Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Sanctions

I wonder if anyone would mind sharing the sacntions they have in place in their classroom for FS2. Our school currently use a board in which children move along. The sanctions are as follows

1. verbal warning

2, sad face board

3. go to see deputy head

4. text home about behaviour

5. go to see the head.

each time children behave inappropriately they move along the santions.

I do not like the currenbt system but have no idea what i would like!!!! so i would be grateful for any siggestions

Thanks x

It seems a lot of chances are given. Is the head the worst case or could they lose playtime, computer time or some other treat. My youngest wouldn't have let any of your sanctions bother him!

i would prefer to deal with things myself, not pass on to deputy. am nursery but had reception in last school. we have an individual system for an individual child with behavioural difficulties. rest is low key and behaviour not really a problem - 33 children with rising 3's and 'proper' nursery age - if you get me!! it's the new younger ones who need reminding. is it a difficult cohort? if a child is snatching/splashing others etc, they get a warning then can't do the activity if it happens again. if they hurt it's time out (3 mins), with timer as a visual reminder, then incident discussed and child asked what they can do next time/how can they help the child they hurt if they did. if they have marked them we show them so they can see consequences and make them get paper towel for us to wet and hold on mark to show. this usually happens in september as they have mostly never had to share and have no real boundaries at home. at carpet time they get a warning and are sent off carpet if they are disrupting - only used once this year and not needed again!!!! we try to be really positive and adapt our activities and routine to children. busy excited children with enough challenge, but not too much are less likely to cause problems to my mind. our reception send to head for almost anything. i feel it should be a last resort and a really bad thing!! hope this helps

Edited by sooty99

^^^^^ + 1

If a child cannot stay on task ask yourself 'what's the task?'

The greatest Headteacher I ever worked for taught me that control is just an illusion. You will never be able to control others only yourself.

...by the way, your list of sanctions. I can see why you don't like them. Are your FS children that poorly behaved they need to go to the Head? In fact are Y1 or Y2 that poorly behaved?

If not what is the point of these sanctions? A simple warning and time out system should suffice.

Edited by ChrisAR
  • Like 1

These children are very young and still very egocentric and so we need to teach them how to handle problems so I use conflict resolution. Here are the steps...

Six Steps in Conflict Resolutions

Approach calmly, stopping any hurtful actions

Acknowledge children’s feelings

Gather information

Restate the problem

Ask for ideas for solutions and choose one together

Be prepared to give follow-up support

Lorna

Except for the child that had a real behaviour issue and was eventually appropriately placed outside mainstream school, I have always found that appropriate task and expectation usually resulted in appropriate behaviour.

We can all make mistakes and these very youngest children are learning how to behave in the situation they are in, ie a large group where they are not king pin!

Traffic light type/ visual systems for behaviour can work for some children but I have also found that they tend to make behaviour worse as it begins to take over and become the focus rather than a support for learning. Likewise the whole class reward system that became school policy was also self defeating but it is very difficult when this type of behaviour scheme/policy has been adopted and you need to be seen to be complying with those expectations.

If only our school systems allowed us to be truely child orientated and meet the needs of the children in our classes in terms of learning etc, than I am sure most behaviour issues would calm down. Behaviour is after all a form of communication.

• Like 2

I heard Julie Fisher speak about a year ago and two things she said stick in my mind...

1) "If children don't learn the way we teach then we must teach the way the learn!" - So if they are not doing what we want them to do are we really asking them to to do what is right for them?

2) " We must be the adult we want the children to grow up to become" - so we need to model and they will learn appropriate behaviours.

For me clouds, charts, reward are all extrinsic and also in some cases visual humiliation!

Rant over!!!

Edited by LornaW

I heard Julie Fisher speak about a year ago and two things she said stick in my mind...

1) "If children don't learn the way we teach then we must teach the way the learn!" - So if they are not doing what we want them to do are we really asking them to to do what is right for them?

2) " We must be the adult we want the children to grow up to become" - so we need to model and they will learn appropriate behaviours.

For me clouds, charts, reward are all extrinsic and also in some cases visual humiliation!

Rant over!!!

Oh Lorna, if only I had worked with you!

I couldnt agree more.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)