Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help me with some poetry!

I am attempting to do some poetry with my reception children but am out of my comfort zone!

We are going to be having another session with touching ice etc then will generate a list of descriptive words. I am unsure how to get the words into a poem though. I am thinking along the lines of having a phrase that they use, eg at the beginning and a different one at the end where they put some adjectives on the middle.

Does that make sense? Eg 'ice is.......' at the beginning and then something else that I can't think of at the end.

Or is all that really rubbish?! Help!

as a quick thought if it was me I would probably spend time exploring the descriptive words relating to ice...see what they come up with and then ask them to think of the rhyming words to go with them - display the words together...then try and slot them in to a poem

Maybe use a familiar rhyme as a base: Humpty Dumpty is great as it saves thinking of other words!

Humpty Dumpty picked up some ice

Humpty Dumpty thought is was nice

Humpty Dumpty had ice to hold

Humpty Dumpty said it was cold

once they get the understanding of this then you can expand

I'm in nursery though so may have completely missed your focus, aimed too low!

Edited by gingerbreadman

remember poetry does not have to rhyme - it could be four lines of descriptive words - this gets them to think about describing words and then later link to rhyming

Ice is cold

Ice is white

ice is clear

ice is slippy

Increasing the descriptive words gets them thinking - ice is cold becomes freezing, ice is white as snow , ice is seethrough like glass, ice is slippery

hope that makes sense

• Like 1

Hi, thanks for the ideas I wasn't planning on going down the rhyming route but i like that idea and might plan for it soon!

hehe you can tell what we are focussing on at the moment! We love a good rhyme/rhyming book!

edit to say I could have sworn I read 'rhyming words' in your post - I have a one track mind! must pay more attention!

Lashes you have enlightened me - I've never seen it that way - Thanks! :1b

Edited by gingerbreadman

How about using the 5 senses to generate descriptions or similes -

ice feels like

ice tastes like

ice looks like....

These can be adjectives or nouns. It doesn't have to be a logical association, in fact, the more imaginative the better.

What does ice smell like???

• Like 2

laughing-smiley-014.gif

How about using the 5 senses to generate descriptions or similes -

ice feels like

ice tastes like

ice looks like....

These can be adjectives or nouns. It doesn't have to be a logical association, in fact, the more imaginative the better.

What does ice smell like???

sorry just reminds me of the '' dont pick up the yellow snow'' when out on our walk around the field!

• Like 1

I am also preschool Ginger bread man and we love rhyming too but obviously my talents are wasted haha - its because I love words/poetry and thinking how we can increase our children's vocabulary and David has just put me to shame ha ha .

I am sure MrsL appreciates all of our input and has at least a term of poetry ideas now :P

Beware the yellow snow , for what it holds we do not know,

could it be gold or buttercups or pirate treasure waiting to be found.

As we march across the frosted ground , making a wonderful crispy, crunchy sound

the light glows from the golden patch like a ray of sun fallen from the sky

Stop !!! the teacher cries , don't pick it up ,my smile has faded and I walk away

and yet I am left still wondering why?

• Like 2

I am also preschool Ginger bread man and we love rhyming too but obviously my talents are wasted haha - its because I love words/poetry and thinking how we can increase our children's vocabulary and David has just put me to shame ha ha .

I am sure MrsL appreciates all of our input and has at least a term of poetry ideas now :P

Thanks MrsL and Lashes! I've learned I'm stuck in a rut!! - I have to have everything rhyming!! grrr!

If only I'd had these teachings - keep up the great work - and I'm going to try really hard to see poetry differently

I blame my early experiences - they must have been the poetry version of 'Flowers are Red' - boy painting flower and is told the leaves must be green and the petals must be red - no scope for imagination :(

"Beware the yellow snow , for what it holds we do not know,

could it be gold or buttercups or pirate treasure waiting to be found.

As we march across the frosted ground , making a wonderful crispy, crunchy sound

the light glows from the golden patch like a ray of sun fallen from the sky

Stop !!! the teacher cries , don't pick it up ,my smile has faded and I walk away

and yet I am left still wondering why?"

Lashes i've not heard that before - is it your own creation? So meaningful :1b

Edited by gingerbreadman

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)