Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Independent 'cooking'

Somehwere I read about a nursey or nursery school where the children were able to follow a very simple recipe to make their own cripie cake, I think it was, whenever they elected to do so. I don't think it was on here, but I may be wrong. Does it ring a bell with anyone? I'm very interested in instances where children are able to work with such independence. Whatever the recipe was, I'd guess it involve 'cold' cooking. I'd be very grateful for any leads, if nothing else I'd know I hadn't dreamt it!

Somehwere I read about a nursey or nursery school where the children were able to follow a very simple recipe to make their own cripie cake, I think it was, whenever they elected to do so. I don't think it was on here, but I may be wrong. Does it ring a bell with anyone? I'm very interested in instances where children are able to work with such independence. Whatever the recipe was, I'd guess it involve 'cold' cooking. I'd be very grateful for any leads, if nothing else I'd know I hadn't dreamt it!

37791[/snapback]

Hi

I dont know about your krispies cooking but I have been looking for ages for recipes that are all in 'cups' so chdn can measure it out independently and apparently alot of canadian cook books are like this. Hope this helps a litlle bit

That sounds familiar, barb. I wonder if they have a website? Will investigate.

Jacqui, have you seen the one that was in an old PPA [as it was then] publication, involving spoons of various sizes of flour, marg, sugar, & 2 tablespoons of an egg & milk mix, so children could measure & mix their own cakes? I've got that one somewhere at work.

A while ago I put this recipe in the "recipe" section on the forum.

"Bake and Take Cakes"

Give each child a bowl and a teaspoon.

Next give every one:

1 tablespoon self raising flour

1 teaspoon soft marg

1 teaspoon sugar

A few currants, sultanas or choch chips

2 tablespoons (approx) milk/egg mixture (use 2 eggs in 1 pt milk)

The children mix up all these ingredients and spoon it into a baking case Bake gas no 6 for about 10 mins.

Using 1 pint milk will make about 16-18 cakes.

The children measure the ingredients in spoonfuls themselves.

Sue J

I got a lot of picture ( real photo's) recipes from British Nutrition Foundation, the link was from this forum.

Here are some examples;

Attached are Powerpoint presentations and recipe cards (pdf)for cheese straws.

I have lots lots more from the site, including food pics, "taste" words etc.

Peggy

BNF_Gingerbreadt.ppt

CHEESE_STRAWS_1_7.pdf

CHEESE_STRAWS_whole_recipe.pdf

It's a great site, isn't it Peggy? I think they're adding more recipes soon too.

Sue J, that was the cake recipe I had in mind. It works really well.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)