Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Blind child starting-ideas & help please

Guest sn0wdr0p

Guest sn0wdr0p

We have a blind 9 year old boy starting our after school sessions soon. He is completely blind and it looks like I can get funding for a support worker for him. As we have never had a blind child in our setting before I would like to ensure we have toys and resources which he can use but that can also be used by other children in the setting so they can play together. I have looked around and can find very little adapted resources for him apart from playing cards. His foster carer said he likes playing on the computer (sadly we can't afford one) and listening to quizzes on the TV and playing bop it which we do have.

I would also appreciate any ideas for activities. We already do lots of cooking which he will be able to do, plus sensory activities - we have had lots of inspiration from ABC's Squidgy Stuff book.

Oh and how about talking pens. I saw them in the RNIB shop. Are they any good. Would they be able to read labels etc.

I forgot to ask if he reads Braille and if he does have you any ideas for resources we will need for that.

All ideas and support for those of you with similar experiences would be fantastic.

Your local authority should have a sensory impairment service who support hearing and vision impaired children - we do and they provide all sorts of resources and support for the individual children their service works with. Have you had contact with his school? They would have resources he is used to using possibly? What I have learnt from our team is you can be registered blind but still have some visual awareness. In an inset they did for my team, they gave us different glasses which mimicked different impairments and it was quite an eye opener if you'll excuse the pun!

cx

Hi there, I work in a maintained school with V.I children and I would agree with Catma regarding contact with his school for advice as well as the local authority. There maybe schools for the visually impaired within your area who may also be able to help. What adaptations does his foster carer make for him?

I would advise a mobility visit e.g. inviting the child in with his carer or other supportive adult to become accustomed to the layout and orientation of your setting. Toilets/ fire escapes/ obstacles such as furniture etc. plus outdoor area - steps/doors/play climbing equipment.

It would be good to have a clear idea of his impairment too. Many V.I children, particularly those with low vision, can become extremely tired after a long day in school so that is something to be aware of. Children who are completely blind can become equally tired as they are having to really concentrate hard on what is going on and may suffer from headaches/irritability etc

In terms of braille you should be able to access some braille books from the RNIB library for loan - that is if he does use braille. Audio books would be a good idea if he does enjoy books.

Have you thought about asking someone to come in from the RNIB to give a chat about being Visually Impaired? They can be quite good about arranging for someone who uses a Guide Dog or cane to come. Another activity would be to do a blind fold game (sensitivities willing) so that the other children can begin to appreciate what it is like for their new friend and to raise awareness.

I hope you get all the help you need and your new boy settles well :1b

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)