Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

school nurseries release time

hi all! i'm in nursery and get my ppa each week, but feel my 2 senior early years educators need time out too. our head says no. they are paid for 1/4 hour before nursery (which is used for setting up) and 1/2 hour after. by the time the children have gone and we have chatted about the morning and thought about what needs adding to planning for next day there might be 10 minutes left, which is not enough time to do 12/13 folders - we stick in post-its/photos and write next steps. and with 33 children, 10 of whom are rising 3's, there is no way we can do it in session. what do you do?

I work maintained nursery in the mornings then private sessions in the afternoon. I manage the private provision.

The teacher has a half morning each week for PPA.

I am in school 7.45 at the latest and usually leave at about 4pm. Often I work through my lunchtime.

I do get paid for more hours than I work with the children.

When I had new staff in the private wraparound bit of the day I asked for their hours to be longer than the sessions for learning journeys but was told no.

It is down to me to try and give time during a session (!!!!) but in fact it just means I take on twice as many learning journeys because there's no time in a session!

I am TA in a school nursery, with just me and the teacher.. The teahcer gets half a day PPA a week which I cover wiht another TA ( I am a HLTA and EYPS too). I am paid half hour before school and half hour after but work at least another half hour a day unpaid on top. I don't get any paid time to update LJs and records and agree with you that we need the time, but no Head yet has agreed. The teacher does most of the records etc - is tick in when time allows. The summer term with 52 children across 2 sessions is a whole new challenge!!

Our head gives time for TA's in nursery when the main assessment data needs inputting (3 times a year) and for report writing. I absolutely agree that TA's pay in Nursery - those that lead the learning and assessments for a group of children should be better paid and that time allocated for the extra workload that such a role brings

i do mornings only but do at least 11/2 hours extra a day at school, but just accept this is how it is in early years but ppa means i have time to catch up a bit and i get more money. but feel it unfair on my staff. x

Our head gives time for TA's in nursery when the main assessment data needs inputting (3 times a year) and for report writing. I absolutely agree that TA's pay in Nursery - those that lead the learning and assessments for a group of children should be better paid and that time allocated for the extra workload that such a role brings

how much time does she/he give?

Sometimes it is a half day but I try to negotiate more time for them as half a day although better than nothing, often is not enough around the end of the year especially. We have a teacher who covers my PPA and leadership time and sometimes we can arrange it that this 'extra' teacher covers the TA's too. Something always has to give though in oder to get things done.

Sometimes it is a half day but I try to negotiate more time for them as half a day although better than nothing, often is not enough around the end of the year especially. We have a teacher who covers my PPA and leadership time and sometimes we can arrange it that this 'extra' teacher covers the TA's too. Something always has to give though in oder to get things done.

half a day a term or for whole year?

sorry for the delay... been enjoying my snow day! It usually works out about 3 half days throughout the year but if we need more the head is usually open to suggestions of ways to support TA's in order to get essential paperwork done.

I really urge practitioners think about how they can incorporate this sort of record keeping into sessions alongside the children and encourage them to talk with them about what you are recording and think about what they can do and like to do next. Most children are interested in photos with themselves in it. The other thing to consider is how much record keeping needs to be done. Our children's centre inspectors were very interested in starting points and tracking but not so much the evidence gathering.

Yes we already do that but there is still data to be submitted from the TA's group DM records for collection to monitor progress across the whole nurser, plus report writing at the end of the year. It is vital that TA's are given extra time to do these kind of jobs as there is no possible way this sort of information gathering/collation can be done whilst supporting the children in their play and interests.

2 of us do put bits in during session, and children then ask if they can look at their folders, but 1 older seye can't manage as it's too noisy and she makes mistakes. if i get time i feel they should too however

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)