Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Signalong/Makaton

Hello

I am about to start a 'Signalong' after school club (for KS1). One child who has opted to attend has a twin brother with SEN and has learnt to sign with him using Makaton. My question is, will knowing Makaton and learning Signalong be confusing for her? I have no knowledge of Makaton, so do not know which signs, if any, are the same/different.

Is there someone who could advise?

Many thanks

I would be interested to read others views on this. I am very experienced in makaton but a child I mind for currently attends a special school where they use signalong. I have been wondering what the differences are and how I can use signalong with out confusing him or me!

Hi to you both,

I have used both signalong and makaton. There are differences but they are very similar. children who I have worked with move freely between the two and can normally work out what you are signing even if it slightly different. I have always felt that body language and the spoken word form two thirds of the communication with sign forming the remaining third. children do not generally appear to mind which form of sign is used.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)