Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Elmer

Hey everyone

I hope the first week went well! We are having an Elmer book week at school and I was wondering if anyone could give me any ideas for a Reception class. I am an NQT and so any help would be soooo much appreciated.

Thanks

:)

Hey everyone

I hope the first week went well! We are having an Elmer book week at school and I was wondering if anyone could give me any ideas for a Reception class.  I am an NQT and so any help would be soooo much appreciated.

Thanks

37642[/snapback]

Have a look on the hamilton site www.hamilton-trust.org.uk I noticed that there is a section for early years and under 'pattern' there is quite a bit for Elmer

Just found an elmer template which can be loaded into program such as paint or primary colour for the children to fill in on computer.

or coloured/painted

elmer.bmp

Edited by michaelle

Hey everyone

I hope the first week went well! We are having an Elmer book week at school and I was wondering if anyone could give me any ideas for a Reception class.  I am an NQT and so any help would be soooo much appreciated.

Thanks

37642[/snapback]

I have used Elmer in the past for colour and pattern work. Also good for lots of PSE work.

We do 'Where's Elmer' where we take photos of Elmer in different places in the room..its a way of getting chidlren familiar with the different parts. We have in the past made this into a presentation and a book, or used the laminated pctures as a sort of treaure hunt around school. We put the various pics up around the school, at each place there is a 'task' to do..the last one we did was mathematical... then there is a picture of Elmer in the next place , they have to identify it and go there. Great fun, make it as easy or difficult as you like, gets children familiar with the school or classroom, and can be done again and again but different tasks and photos.

Our children never seem to grow tired of this type of activitry....although I do get moans from other teachers saying...'huh they wandering around school ...again....'

one of my favourite things that I have done with Elmer, is to make a collaborative patchwork Elmer, I did it by sticking 2 A1 sheets together and drawing an elmer outline on one side, then turning it over, taking 2 more a1 sheets, cut them into equal size squares, then giving them all to the children to decorate, choosing a colour theme for their square, then stuck them all on the other side to the elephant outline, and cutting out Elmer ...

In fact, I'm tempted to this for my display this week!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

We have made milk bottle Elmers that look really effective..collect old milk bottles, 1, 2, 4 pint, cut off at base of handle... the handle becomes the trunk, add ears and patchwork..can look effective as a display as they all end up very individual!

top end..cut off the bottom section level with the bottom of the handle.. the lid is the flat top of his head... handle/trunk at the front, ears stuck on either side of the handle and a couple of wobbly eyes look good, then cover the plastic body with lots of squares of sticky paper..very messy but worth it! We are making them next week, if i can work out the technology i will try adding a photo! :)

Sorry just read my reply and it sounds more complicated than it is..when your next milk carton is finished have a try, once you see the hadle as his trunk it all becomes clear..Good luck!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)