Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Mathematics - a 'development matters' question!

Looking at skill levels

The recognition of numerals (i.e. the symbol or written number) would come within 40-60+m - the child's age probably being the first numeral he/she would recognise.

So why is 'sometimes matches numeral and quantity correctly' within the 30-50m range?

Have I misread this? :mellow:

Your comments would be appreciated! :1b

For me the key word is 'sometimes' in the 30-50 months statement, whereas in the 40-60 months age band I'd expect to be seeing this number recognition on a consistent basis. Also remember that the age bands overlap so there will be some aspects in each band that won't be hugely different. That's my interpretation anyway.

Sorry - I have another question! Still Mathematics - a child who is cutting tomatoes says "I cut it in half". Would you put this in 'Numbers' 30-50m (using number language spontaneously)?

Sorry - brain feeling a bit muddled at the moment!

Hmm, that's an interesting one devonmaid. Personally I wouldn't put it under number in that particular context, whereas I would if the child had sorted out 8 smarties and said 'I've got half of them'.

In the tomato example, there is no reference to number or quantity, and if you think about cutting something in half, what you are doing is ensuring that the two parts are the same shape and size, and Im sure we all remember the conversations we might have had with our siblings or children about who has the biggest half! (especially when it's cake). So for me this skill, is about recognizing two shapes (parts) as the same size. I don't have my DM to hand but remember the DMs are a guide to the sorts of things children might do, some things you wont find exactly there.

Just as an afterthought though, Id probably want to know if the child simply cut the tomato in two, or looked carefully to decide where to cut, and if they cut it accurately (ie did it look like half) . This would tell you the child's understanding of 'half'. This is why its so important to know the context of the situation through observation.

Does that make sense?

Hmm, that's an interesting one devonmaid. Personally I wouldn't put it under number in that particular context, whereas I would if the child had sorted out 8 smarties and said 'I've got half of them'.

In the tomato example, there is no reference to number or quantity, and if you think about cutting something in half, what you are doing is ensuring that the two parts are the same shape and size, and Im sure we all remember the conversations we might have had with our siblings or children about who has the biggest half! (especially when it's cake). So for me this skill, is about recognizing two shapes (parts) as the same size. I don't have my DM to hand but remember the DMs are a guide to the sorts of things children might do, some things you wont find exactly there.

Just as an afterthought though, Id probably want to know if the child simply cut the tomato in two, or looked carefully to decide where to cut, and if they cut it accurately (ie did it look like half) . This would tell you the child's understanding of 'half'. This is why its so important to know the context of the situation through observation.

Does that make sense?

Thanks for that Mundia - Yes I initially thought SSM, and on scanning the DM statements, saw a reference to 'halving' in the Number ELGs, so thought it must be in 'Number', but an earlier phase. The child certainly cut the tomato fairly accurately, looking at the photograph. Unfortunately I did not do the observation so I don't really know enough about the 'event' - I only have the photo and child's comment; I am taking on a colleagues work as she has been on long term sick and I am trying to lighten the load for her in doing her reports this term!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)