Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Termly Newsletter?

Hi, I want to produce a half termly, or at least temly newsletter to inform parents of our topic/any other issues etc. In the past we have produced aletter but I want somethings thats a bit more appealling to read but which also follows the same format so we can just cut and paste each time. Management team have asked us to produce a 'topic web' informing parents what will be taught/covered in each subject. This would be easy enough but I'd like to include a section on things they could do at home with their child/add pictures etc. Have looked on publisher but its all a bit of a minefield at the moment and I keep running out of time! I#'d love to find out what others do and if any of you have something saved and wou;dn't mind attching a copy so I could get inspired that would be great. Thanks a lot

Zim :)

Hi Zim,

I tried to attach my newsletter which is in publisher format but got a message

"Upload failed. You are not permitted to upload a file with that file extension."

I will try to transfer document to word. I like publisher format and use a newspaper style layout.

I put most recent updates/news/important info on the front page. I then have sections for Staff updates/info, curriculum info. our favourite song ( space allowing), a parent page, ie: How they can support us, letters from them ie: items for sale, advertising childminders, babysitters etc, I've asked for input such as funny stories but with no response :o , the back page is used for contact info, reminders such as donations for snack bar, bring in wellies/coats etc.

I like to use lots of photos.

Hope this helps.

Peggy

Hi Zim,

It took a while to download maybe because it has photo's in it :o

We send these out each term. We also send out a "Health" newsletter periodically with subjects such as headlice, potty training, common infections, sleepless nights and other parent tips and info.

We have a noticeboard on our main entrance (outside) with suggestions for what parents can bring in and this is also where we display our weeks plans.

Peggy

EXAMPLE_NEWSLETTERS.doc

Thanks a lot Peggy, that sounds like just the sort of thing we need-I don't want to just send home the curriculum as reminders such as bringing wellies in are just as important! (you gave me a good idea-want to appeal for wellies that don't fit their child anymore as we could use them for some of our tinys). If you do manage to be able to attch it I would LOVE to see a copy. Thanks Very much :)

Peggy, that's fantastic and such a quick response! Its going to give me lots of ideas thanks ever so much. :):):)

Do any of you in schools do something similar?

Hi Zim, I do a half termly newsletter but nothing like as swish as Peggy's.

I usually have 'domestic points' this includes stuff we need for half term planning e.g. old clockwork toys, wellies for walks etc

Each half term I focus on an area of learning, writing, listening skills etc (briefly)

Inroduction to topic, why it was chosen etc.

Week by week outline of 'highlights' from planning (planning is displayed on notice board) with an 'ideas at home' follow up.

Mine looks like a letter. Am inspired by Peggy's

I don't know how to do an attachment -sorry!

Barb

These are ours. We have a banner in Word and then do a table to fill up underneath, using digital photos or clipart. The current one (on the machine at work) was about such as settling in, how we organise the curriculum, library visits.

Judith,

I like your layout but don't fully understand how you produce it. When you say "banner" do you mean text box? and the table is this from the word tools menu? Do you select rows and columns then place them under the banner?

Sorry to sound a bit dense, I always find it difficult to explain "computor" tasks. :o

I would like to produce newsletters in word so that I can email to more parents( I have previously found the layout to be too letter like-until I saw yours) As you know I currently use publisher but this is limiting because not all parents have this programme, whereas most parents have word.

Peggy

A newspaper has a “banner” at the top of page one, which gives its title, price etc. and which stays the same every time. For our banner we include the title (“reception newsletter”, which is probably a bit boring but the best we could do when we started) name of the school, address, phone, email, fax and the school logo (in our case a tree), name of head and deputy, names of reception staff and students. This stays the same every time, so we can copy and paste it, changing only essentials, such as the date, but keeping the same style. We did this in two rows of a table. You can use the cells to organise your “objects” – photos, clip art or text – and then hide the cell borders using the “borders and shading” tool on the “Format” menu on the Word tool bar.

We now copy and paste the banner into the top two rows of a table. We first put the table into Word with 3 columns and a few rows (too many rows can easily be deleted later). We merge the top two rows so we can paste the banner. Then we usually merge two columns underneath the banner for the “front page lead story” and have the other pieces in single columns. We merge and split cells (under “Table” on the Word tool bar) as we go and make it all fit by trial and error, usually on two sides of A4.

The attached is our latest – only one side of A4 because we were short of time – which hopefully illustrates all this.

We learn more and more about Word and its amazing versatility as time goes by. If you don’t know much about tables and merging and splitting cells, find an ICT coordinator/technician/ask to go on a course/whatever! But we certainly did need expert help to start making good use of the programme. Personally, I hate Publisher, but others, who can make it work for them, love it.

A newspaper has a “banner” at the top of page one, which gives its title, price etc. and which stays the same every time. For our banner we include the title (“reception newsletter”, which is probably a bit boring but the best we could do when we started) name of the school, address, phone, email, fax and the school logo (in our case a tree), name of head and deputy, names of reception staff and students. This stays the same every time, so we can copy and paste it, changing only essentials, such as the date, but keeping the same style. We did this in two rows of a table. You can use the cells to organise your “objects” – photos, clip art or text – and then hide the cell borders using the “borders and shading” tool on the “Format” menu on the Word tool bar.

We now copy and paste the banner into the top two rows of a table. We first put the table into Word with 3 columns and a few rows (too many rows can easily be deleted later). We merge the top two rows so we can paste the banner. Then we usually merge two columns underneath the banner for the “front page lead story” and have the other pieces in single columns. We merge and split cells (under “Table” on the Word tool bar) as we go and make it all fit by trial and error, usually on two sides of A4.

The attached is our latest – only one side of A4 because we were short of time – which hopefully illustrates all this.

We learn more and more about Word and its amazing versatility as time goes by. If you don’t know much about tables and merging and splitting cells, find an ICT coordinator/technician/ask to go on a course/whatever! But we certainly did need expert help to start making good use of the programme. Personally, I hate Publisher, but others, who can make it work for them, love it.

Nletter_Autumn1__05.doc

Nletter_Autumn1__05.doc

Well,

Thankyou Judith!!!!!!!!! I have struggled to do all this for ages, keep trying different permutations, but always failed :(

If anyone dares to say 'why are we not surprised!!', I'll kneecap 'em!! :o (I am a resident ICT dummy! xD )

I will print this out and take it to bed with me, then I'll amaze everyone with my wizard skills!!!!!!!!!

Sue :D:D

Thanks Judith, had trouble opening these today but the ones you sent yesterday were great. Now I'll just have to open a word versus publisher debate!!! Got all inspired and stayed up devising our own newsletter based on yours (hope you don't mind me pinching your layout!) got to work to print it out and the pictures I'd inserted were all over the place. Does anyone teccy know why this might be? Managed to fix it but then had problems again when trying to insert new text. Then started on publisher and now I'm in newsletter limbo. Thanks though seeing yours really helped.

I have struggled to do all this for ages, keep trying different permutations, but always failed  :(

If anyone dares to say 'why are we not surprised!!', I'll kneecap 'em!! :o

Sue  :D  :D

37710[/snapback]

My lips are sealed. xD:(

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)