Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

What are your ratios?

Hi, i am just after a general feeling of how many adults you have to children, especially in school maintained nurseries?

How do you find your numbers, do you feel it is right or do you feel you need more staff?

Thanks for as many inputs as possible x

Hi I teach in a school nursery. We have two adults (1teacher, 1nursery nurse) for 26 children a.m. And p.m. On one afternoon a week this changes to 1 teacher 1 classroom assistant for 26 children. Not ideal ratios but it is the norm in my area to stick to the bare minimum.

Hi I teach in a school nursery. We have two adults (1teacher, 1nursery nurse) for 26 children a.m. And p.m. On one afternoon a week this changes to 1 teacher 1 classroom assistant for 26 children. Not ideal ratios but it is the norm in my area to stick to the bare minimum.

O my goodness..... What age do you take from ? I don't know how you manage with just 2 of you....

we have 23 children and 1 teacher and 2 senior early years educators. we go up to 30 after christmas with rising 3's and will keep same staff. all school has small classes and 1 teaching assistant so that's why we have 3 in autumn term with low numbers. our intake is 39 but we never get there till after easter... and i would love more. young children need lots of support. 3 wet selves yesterday. 1 child is needing continual monitoring to step in before he hurts children. we have referred 7 for speech therapy...... need i say more?

If you have Rising 3's how on earth can you even manage with just 3 adults- let alone be legal? I know the ratio if you have a teacher are different than for us in P&V sector but is it different for under 3's? I always thought this was 1:4.

We have 5/6 adults per morning for 25 children - age 2 9/10mths- 4 years.

Our children start the term after their third birthday. It is so difficult. I work in an area where a fair amount of children have additional needs (currently 3 children in same session who myself/SENco suspect may have asd) I don't know how these ratios are worked out. Do they think because I have the label 'teacher' that I have 'special powers' and an extra pair of hands? Unfortunately I don't I'm just a human the same as everyone else ;-)

If you have Rising 3's how on earth can you even manage with just 3 adults- let alone be legal? I know the ratio if you have a teacher are different than for us in P&V sector but is it different for under 3's? I always thought this was 1:4.

We have 5/6 adults per morning for 25 children - age 2 9/10mths- 4 years.

by rising 3's i mean 3 in this term so they will be 3+ when they start in january