Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Encouraging writing in child initiated time

Hi everyone,

SMT concerned my writing data was low scoring last year. So, are offering funds to jazz up the learning environment!

What would be included on your must have/wish I had shopping list?

My outdoor area does look a bit sad at the mo, but I have had to insist that my tree logs, milk crates and wheel are not rubbish but supposed to be there!

ho hum

actually same i would think. agree with above. giant chalks for chalking on ground. we use when rain due all over, or restrict to coned off area if dry so everyone not walking in it all week. mini whiteboards and pens nice for in and out. A4 size. easels/large pieces of coloured paper/felts/chalks/etc. and we have a tool box which contains mini note books/biros/felt pens and they carry it round everywhere. especially boys. we are nursery x

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.410506749018644.99593.197403886995599&type=3

in the links area I put a recipe for an outdoor writing kit.. devised by an early years trainer and shared on facebook, sorry but it is only available there,,

sorry link doesnt want to work.. but it is does on our FSF addicts page..

Edited by Inge
  • Like 1

...as above plus light sabers / fairy wands for handwriting, monkey bars to improve upper body muscles control, rings for my writing finger (a la Galina dolya) dough disco so lots of playdough, parachute and lots and lots of opportunities to talk! talk! talk!

Lorna

We have found rucksacks with paper writing implements tape measures calclators work really well. Lots of drawing plans in the construction area, shopping lists in home corner, menus and a million other things too. The rucksacks are in various places but meant to be taken where the child wants to go!

Ideas to encourahge boys to write. Special fabric 'bumbags' made with sections for notebooks and pencils. These could be made by a clever LSA or parent and could be in attractive fabric, such as camouflage. Also portable giant pencil carriers made out of decorated Pringle tubes with a string handle. Foam swords (from a fancy dress shop ) for doing some 'big writing' with paint on wallpaper.

These are not my ideas -I saw them at an exhibition presented by outstanding practitioners. I intend to try them all!!

All of the above are great ideas! We also provide hard backed note-pads outside - the children can write on the without having to lean and don't struggle with separate bits of paper as with clipboards. Also covering a table with paper and providing different mark-making media. We tend to get the best writing through role-play. Making police note-pads, games with cars e.g. Calling them into parking spaces and marking names.

Green hippo x

Edited by green hippo

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)