Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Supporting staff to understand Play based environments

Yep, I agree! I always look at children's investigation as a massive research project...no stone goes unturned and ofcourse this involves things being out of of place, reorganised and ''scattered'' with purpose in any place that the children feel is worth investigating! :D

I presume then you have staff who flutter around making sure the paint brush doesnt go too close to the walls, the playdough doesnt get walked into the carpet and the areas always look neat.

You have to remind people, this is not your house, it doesnt have to be tidy as if expecting guests, in fact, we would rather any guests see us messy and involved. Neat displays and shelves do look lovely, but there's always something a bit eerie about somewhere too tidy.

If it wipes, can be remade or replaced cheaply and quickly, if no-one gets hurt, its acceptable. Whats the worst that could happen?

The staff need to imagine they are doing a job for a day, something they've never done before. If they were asked to plaster a wall (presuming they havent all just come from plastering college!) would it be easy, would they make a mess, would they learn for next time and would the mess be washable?

The children can be involved in cleaning and tidying the mess too :1b

• Like 2