Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Whta is expected progress?

Hi

Can anyone please tell me what expected progress is with regard to children working through month bands. With the profile we used to say an average child will make 1 profile point progress per term in each area. What is expected progress with regards to development matters?

Thanks

Lou

There isn't a measure within the EYFs except the development mattters and the ELGs at the end.

However many LAs use emerging, developing, securing within an age/stage to show 3 steps of progress ie1 per term.

There are age related expectations at the transition points into nursery/into year 1 which are used by Ofsted: emerging 30 - 50 on entry to F1 and emerging 40 - 60 into F2.

Cx

Thank you Catma

Our LA use the eerging, developing and securing within an age phase so would that be 1 srep progress per big term?

Also entry into F2 children would be expected to be emerging 40-60 so on entry yr1 would they be ELG?

Thank you Catma

Our LA use the eerging, developing and securing within an age phase so would that be 1 srep progress per big term? In principle but children don't develop in straight lines so it may not be the case that a child does so quite as neatly as that!! Progress discussions would need to be about progress rather than attainment really!!

Also entry into F2 children would be expected to be emerging 40-60 so on entry yr1 would they be ELG? That would be the expectation as per the statutory framework

It is really hard this new profile. If a child was achieving all of the ELG in the old profile then they would be doing very well because they would at a profile point eight (above national average), yet now Expected is all the early learning goals. Therefore are most of our children not going to be emerging?

• 3 weeks later...

Well this is where it gets interesting - the line is that in the summer you look at where your children are against the ELGs and make this 'best fit' ( undefined) judgement. Whereas the old profile statements were all or nothing, here I guess if a child has a majority of an ELG it can be awarded as Expected. I think you need to think of the ELGs as representing a score of between 6 and 8 under the old system with exceeding being given only when then clearly can do all of it in which case you look to the NC levels (where you can) to make a judgement - this being the old 9. I suspect that more children will achieve expected levels than got 6 or more as there is more wriggle room under this new system thus proving conclusively that young children achieve better under the Coalition than under Labour.

Seriously though I think you need to accept that the new system is different and there will be more expecteds than emerging. At some point a consensus will emerge as to what 'best fit' actually means in practice for each ELG.

The new exemplification of all 17 goals is now out on the STA site - look at ARA.

The writing looks like old scale point 8 to me (or beyond). Haven't read it all through - it's very long and consisits of 4 zipped files.

Can only imagine they'll be more expecteds.

I suspect that more children will achieve expected levels than got 6 or more as there is more wriggle room under this new system thus proving conclusively that young children achieve better under the Coalition than under Labour.

Interestingly not the case in my colleague's LA which was in the pilot. They found more came out lower on the new EYFSP than the previous one. And they did both side by side.

As I read it in both handbook and ARA, you need to consider all the ELG holistically but children may be stronger in some skills than others within it, ie they need to be showing some competence across the whole goal. I understand Best fit as meaning the evidence you have is best decribed by the expectations of the goal rather than how much of it is "ticked".

When we finally get our LA briefing from the STA I will endeavour to get a decisive answer.

The ARA has been reissued as they had left some stuff re alternative assessments from the previous 2012 version in it so you may want to check you have the most up to date version!!

Cx

Edited by catma

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)