Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

A little guidance please.

Hi, looking for a bit of guidance.

We have a child in setting who is 26 months old. He loves anything to do with wheels, he will up turn he dolls buggies/ prams so that he can simply spin the wheels around over and over again. He is also often found with things in his hand (for instance yesterday it was the lid of glue stick) and he simply rolls it in the palms of his hands over and over. He doesnt really play with things such as cars/trains and as yet have not really engaged him in other activities as he simply wants to be spinning the wheels and rolling things in his hand.

He is not interested in the malleable area other than to roll the rolling pin in the palm of his hands and really the same in all the different areas.

Feel a bit lost for ideas as to how we can enhance the areas to engage him in other things. He is settled well in setting and would like to try and engage him more in the activities.

Can anyone come up with any suggestions for activities to do with wheeels and rolling and also just reassure me that this is indeed "normal behaviour"

Sounds as if he is in a rotation schema - it's normal for children of this age, and it's a good idea to provide him with things like bikes, and other things with wheels outside - games with cogs and wheels and spinning things on indoors and outside, the opportunity to draw large circular movements - on the ground in water or chalk, or on large sheets of paper, some children also like to play with and explore things like windmills. Failing that just sit him by the washing machine - he will be in his element :1b

Def agree with redjayne :-)

Try things like rotary whisks (we have some in the water tray and others in the baking box), rotary cheese grater to encourage him in to other activities like baking, a collection of random wheels..from the model sections on eBay or ask parents for wheels off pushchairs, discarded scooters etc, tyre rolling outdoors, tipping a bike upside down outdoors and letting him 'pedal', keep fingers away from spokes though!

possibly marble runs and ball painting in a cardboard box where he can tip the box in diff directions ( depending if he enjoys movement in general... But options like these would be a good way to assess this)

It's absolutely normal...and not a sign of o.c.d!! Enjoy what he's doing, this is fascinating stuff to watch ;-) I love thus age group

does he show any interest in other children? does he have any speech? it is possible, i would say, that he is on the spectrum. i would provide all lovely ideas above but keep it in the back of your mind. he sounds like a boy we had a few years ago who we referred to i d s. they recommended special school for him and he is still there. also try to engage him in other things? x

Guest sn0wdr0p

I agree with HappyMaz and would recommend Again Again to everyone who wants to find out more about schemas and improve their practice.

Edited by sn0wdr0p

does he show any interest in other children? does he have any speech? it is possible, i would say, that he is on the spectrum. i would provide all lovely ideas above but keep it in the back of your mind. he sounds like a boy we had a few years ago who we referred to i d s. they recommended special school for him and he is still there. also try to engage him in other things? x

his speech is very limited at the moment, however we have seen some improvement since he started with us. He doesnt interact with any other children yet, but will sit and watch them from a distance.

I agree with HappyMaz and would recommend Again Again to everyone who wants to find out more about schemas and improve their practice.

Thanks for that information snowdrop, i have just ordered the book from amazon as it looks very informative and a useful book to have in my collection :1b .

just keep it in the back of your mind. if speech and social interaction don't improve he may need further advice/support to ensure he makes good progress x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)