Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Observations

Hi all!

can anyone help?! Do we need to be doing more narrative focused observations around the characteristics of learning?

Do you have a particular format if you do this?

I am a wee bit lost with this!

I thought we did, designed a form and all, then went on a course by an advisor from Lancashire who pointed out that 'observations should not take practitioners away from engaging with children' and so long obs (10 mins or so as we used to do half-termly) were not expected to feature in the EYFS environment.

So I'm not sure either, but do have a form ready to share if anyone thinks we should be doing this!

I'm simply trying to note down on some (not managing all yet) short observations which characteristic of learning is evident. I've done this by making a box on my pro forma with the three characteristics listed and I circle the one which was evident. Sometimes I review the observations later and complete this section then rather than at the time of observing.

• 2 weeks later...

I too love this forum and don't know what i'd do without it. We've been making all sorts of timetables and ways to remember to get our long obs done every half term and one of our staff went on a course on Friday and was told we don't need to bother with all that as long as we're doing mini obs.. so one bit of advice from the EYA and another from the course instructor... I suppose using the long obs form but only doing a 5 min obs on it every half term????

It's all about using observations as a tool kit - you might need to do a long ob or a particular child - use the different observational stategies to suit what you need to find out. I think there is still a place for stepping back and observing children in a wider sense. The EYFS for me was saying stop spending hours walking around "observing" when you could be doing more interaction and really have something useful to record!! Too much time was spent trying to record everything and anything and capturing nothing of any use. A quality long observation can be worth a lot if done well.

Cx

we did long obs on each child at the start of the year and that really helped to know how they played/interests and was good for baseline assessments. we now just do short and ad hoc obs while we are engaging with children.

deb

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)