Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Childminding assistant?

Hi

I have been debating for a while about whether to employ an assistant to help with general day to day activities and school runs. I was wondering if anyone already does this that can share advice on tax, NI implications.

I've been told that I would need to offer things like maternity pay/sickness pay, if so how would this work?

If I was allowed to increase my child ration what implications does this have on liability insurance? I am currently insured to care for up to 9 children at any one time. Would this be increased with an assistant being avalable?

Any advice would be sincerely appreciated.

Kind regards

wendy

Hi

I am planning to use an assistant wef Jan 2013. She is going to register as self employed so I dont need to sort NI, holiday/sickness pay. We have drawn up an employment contract to suit our needs as casual childminding assistant, min of 6hrs per week. Ofsted forms completed, Crb completed. First aid course planned for nxt year.

Hmmm....in a conversation recently unrelated to childcare an account friend of mine was saying a client of his got into hot water because although the driver he used was claiming to be self employed he only ever worked for this one customer so effectively he worked for him but the guy didn't employ him and pay his NI etc.

Maybe I misunderstood but if she isn't assisting anyone else she is working for you?

I wonder if this helps explain what I am trying so badly to say

I spoke to HMRC and they stipulated that an assistant would indeed be employed by me. To try to let the assistant be self employed would be fraud as they would not be working for anyone else in this role. The only way letting of them be self employed ( and be deemed acceptable) would be if the assistant had several assistant roles with separate childminders.

I understand this aspect, just found that getting specific information in regards to employing an assistant is incredibly difficult. If I am going to do it I want to make sure that I have all the bases covered.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)