Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Levelling against development matters

Hi, hope someone can help.

Where do you put new children to the setting, when levelling an existing cohort of children against the development matter bands? This is to look at percentages within each band. E.g. We had nursery children last year that are now our reception children, but have 3 new reception children (1 was at another school, another at a Sure Start setting, the third hadn't been anywhere). Our existing reception children have had 2 or 3 terms in our nursery, whereas these other children haven't! Would you level the 3 children separately?

Hope this makes sense.

Aren't all children assessed separately?? I'm not clear what you are thinking here...yes you'll need to observe them a bit more than the others to gather information (have you asked for the records from the previous settings for the 2 who were in one?). But the age/stage they are develomentally at will be the same as any other child at that age/stage surely regardless of previous educational experiences?

cx

Edited by catma

Sorry I didn't make myself clear. This is for Leadership team, they want to know percentages of children that are 30-50 emerging, expected, exceeding etc. I was advised to keep the children separate according to how many terms they had in setting. E.g. my current reception some had 5 terms in nursery, others had 3 terms in nursery, so I keep these separate for percentages for tracking for leadership and management.

Hope this makes sense.

I thought the terms emerging, expected and exceeding were to be used as summative judgements at the end of reception? Are you using the date to predict levels for later?

I agree with Catma that all children whether new or existing are assessed separately.

I would keep a record of the children as a cohort who are 'home grown' if you like, and keep a record of the whole cohort from the start of reception also. I am on SLT but we don't have a nursery, as a school we monitor the progress of the children who are home grown, against those who start at different times, as well as monitoring the impact our teaching has had on children who start at different times/ in different year groups etc.

Sorry I didn't make myself clear. This is for Leadership team, they want to know percentages of children that are 30-50 emerging, expected, exceeding etc. I was advised to keep the children separate according to how many terms they had in setting. E.g. my current reception some had 5 terms in nursery, others had 3 terms in nursery, so I keep these separate for percentages for tracking for leadership and management.

Hope this makes sense.

not in the

It does except using emerging, expected and exceeding only work as EYFSP judgements at the end of the year - exceeding means beyond the ELG. If used in earlier ages/stages then exceeding anything would by definition be in the band above anyway so would be described as that, e.g to say a child was exceeding 30 - 50, you'd really be saying they were in 40 -60 so would say that!!

Many LAs use variations of emerging developing securing which work better as descriptions of progression within a stage.

Cx

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)