Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Emerging, expected, exceeding

Hi everyone,

I have been looking at the EY data for my setting as we have pupil progress meetings next week. I am feeling comfortable with using the new framework in Reception and tracking is looking good.

However, there is one thing I am still a little unsure about. When judging if children in Reception are emerging, expected or exceeding do you base it on where they are in terms of the ELG? And does this only happen at the end of the academic year? My setting is in an extremely deprived area and most children have come to us working within the 30-50 month band or lower and I would hate to think that they will not be seen as 'expected' unless they have achieved the ELG before the end of the year.

Also, how does this work with Nursery? Do they also get judged as emerging, expected or exceeding and would that be based on the 30-50 age band, 40-60 or ELG?

I hope my questions make sense! Think I am just getting myself slightly muddled as I'm not feeling very well!

Thanks,

Beccy

The Emerging, Expected Exceeding (I prefer to use capitals for these to show they are different to other labels being used for ongoing tracking!) is for the EYFSP at the end of the year. Progress before that is now best tracked through the ages and stages. Some LAs use emerging, developing, securing or similar labels to help with finer shades of progression towards the ELGs.

If you were to use the "Emerging Expected Exceeding" summative judgements now pretty much all children would be the same until next year!! Emerging describes anything from birth to just below the ELG as a final summative judgement.

Cx

i'm in nursery. last year i recorded the band they were working within and whether emerging, secure or somewhere between. did this 3 times - on entry, mid year, and end of year. then it was evident what progress had been made. i will try to attach tracker. i coloured for my benefit. green where they should be, yellow one band below, red two bands below, pink 8-20 months band i.e. likely to be sen

on entry assessments sep 2011.xls

I assess my reception class, as advised by our authority, on dev matters statements - emerging, developing or secure in the age bands. It has also been suggested that secure in 30-50, emerging 40-60 is expected baseline for entry into reception. I have some children in this category, but some still emerging/developing 30-50, and a few who are still operating, in some areas, within 22-36. Whilst I feel the LA children may not reach Expected for the profile, I hope my tracking will show progress from their low starting point.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)